Moderator Control Panel ]

American army details

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

American army details

Postby rikm1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:56 am

Hi,

I have been able to find records for my great uncle who died during ww1, he was in the Gordon highlanders and is buried in France. I have a copy of his sevice records etc. But I noticed online he is mentioned in the evening times newspaper as having been in the American Army, see below. I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to finding out where he served and if there's anywhere I can search to find out more info on his American army service. I have been able to find his marriage, birth and death details from scotlandspeople website. Is there something similar to let me see where he stayed and if he married in usa, it was rumoured he married over there. His date of birth is 2nd August 1890.

Service No: S/9783 
Date of Death: 23/08/1918 
Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders 1st Bn. 
Grave Reference: III. H. 7. Cemetery: ACHIET-LE-GRAND COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION 

Place of Birth Glasgow 
Evening Times 12/10/18 p3 “Pte. James Rice, late of the American Army (killed). His wife resides at 25 Wodrow Street, Pollokshaws.” 
Pollokshaws News 18/10/18 “Private James Rice, Gordon Highlanders, killed, was married and had his home at 25 Wodrow Street. When a boy of 16, he went to America, and for three years, he served in the American Army. In 1915, he returned to this country and joined the British Army. Private Rice was 29 years of age

If any more info is needed let me know.

Regards

Richard
rikm1

Re: American army details

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 pm

I've been checking the United States Registers of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914 on Family Search, but so far no luck. There are several enlistees named James Rice (born c1890), but the registers indicate they were U.S. born.

Was James Rice his full name? Also, what were the names of his parents?
MoVidger

Postby rikm1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Mo,

Thanks for your reply. James Rice was his full name, didnt have anh middle name on his birth or marriagr cert. His father was called David Rice and his mother Annie Mullen.

Kind Regards

Richard

Sent from my SM-A300FU using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
rikm1

Postby rikm1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks I'll give that a try. Cheers
rikm1

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Richard - could James Rice have initially gone to Canada? On Family Search, there is this record:

Canada Passengers List, 1881-1922 (Quebec)
June 1907
James Rice (age 21, born 1886) -- did he add a few years to his age?
Birthplace: Renfrew, Scotland (from the manifest image)
Ship name: Corinthian

There is a Profession/Occupation/Calling column on the manifest, but it's difficult to read the occupation for James! There is also a Place of Destination column, but that's a struggle to read, too. Sort of looks like Portage la Prairie (for James Rice and others) ??

I've tried to locate James Rice in the 1910 US census, but no luck so far. The newspaper obit states he didn't return to the UK until 1915 -- so where is he living by 1910? Did his parents go to the US, as well?
MoVidger

Postby rikm1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Mo,

Thanks for this, I'll have a good look into as nothing would surprise me, I've found records where there's 10 years of a different between birth, marriage and death lol.

I've never heard of him going to Canada, but you never know.

Regards

Richard

rikm1

Postby rikm1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:54 pm

I'll need to look into census records for james and his mum also as I'm sure I couldn't find one for 1911. Maybe they did move there. I know that his mum died in scotland, as his brothers and sisters so think if anything they maybe moved for a while.

Richard

rikm1

Return to Military help