Moderator Control Panel ]

June DVD - Dunkirk

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

June DVD - Dunkirk

Postby Anita » Fri May 30, 2008 9:46 pm

My uncle, George Gray, died at Dunkirk, his records are on the Wargraves Commission website and I have visited his grave at Dickebusch Old Millitary Cemetery. However, he is not listed on this DVD. Comparing the information between the website and the DVD I find other omissions from this cemetary, althought there are some inclusions. This cemetary was originally for WWI casualties, but there are 10 WWII dead; one of the inclusions is from the later conflict, so I know that is not the reason for the omissions. Can you tell me why this set of data is incomplete? I notice that the DVD states 'over 10,000 records' rather than 'complete list', but a less experienced researcher could conclude from this information that their research subject did not die in this campaign. I think it would have been helpful for a bit more clarification.
Sorry to be so grumpy about this, but my uncle's memory is very dear to me. All we know about his death is that told to my grandmother by a surviving friend. My uncle, a private, made it to a boat, but realising that a friend had been left behind he went back for him and was killed. As a result of this brave action he was promoted posthumously to sargeant. Dickebusch Old Millitary Cemetary was designated for officers only and George's final act of bravery was the reason he was buried there. However, I have yet to track down any citation and I was hoping this DVD could help me with this research. His details are as follows: 1/7 Battalion The Middlesexr Regt (DCo) - Sgt 6202490.
Anita

RE: June DVD - Dunkirk

Postby Annie08 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi

Having read your forum I thought I'd check the June DVD myself and see if my ancestor is listed. He is: Private 6346257 Ernest Cherry of the 4th Bn Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment died on 28 May 1940 aged 19. He is commemorated on the Dunkirk Memorial. I did know his details before looking, he was engaged to my Aunty.

I've got ancestors in Northumberland at the later end of the 19c so I'm going to peruse that section next.

A really useful disc this month - thank you.

Annie08

Annie08

Postby Editor » Sat May 31, 2008 12:00 am

Hi Anita,

The data was supplied to us by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. It should list all the Commonwealth war dead in France 10 May-25 June 1940 which should cover everyone who died at Dunkirk. I'll ask them why your uncle is not listed and get back to you.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:40 am

Again this month I am having problems in getting the info on the disc. Cannot get the Dunkirk Records of the fallen or the boats. Will open on a very old computer, Windows 98, 3.1 GB not on the web, but will not open on my 62 GB laptop running Windows XP 2; just comes up with' do you want to send an error report to Microsoft.
What is the fault with these discs? I get the A to Z option, but nothing else. Is it possible to get the magazine, at a cheaper price, without the cover discs that, to me, are useless. I know I am not the only one as problems have been aired here before.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby tonywarren » Sat May 31, 2008 1:56 am

I agree with the last post, I have all of the DVDs on my shelf which look pretty but are useless to me. I run 2 PCs and a laptop with either Windows XP or Vista and none will run the CDs without throwing up errors. Either stop the DVDs and reduce the price or get the DVd sorted to be able to run on modern PCs.
tonywarren

Postby Editor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi Anita,

I've received a response from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The data that they provided was put together using criteria that were most likely to identify those involved at Dunkirk. They extracted all the Commonwealth casualties who are commemorated in France and were known to have died between 10 May 1940 and 25 June 1940. As Dickebusch Old Military Cemetery is in Belgium, casualties buried and commemorated there, such as Sgt George Gray, were not included. The CWGC's records relate to the commemoration of Commonwealth casualties of the two World War and do not contain information about the military operations in which the individuals concerned were involved so this was the nearest that they could get to a list of Dunkirk fallen.

I'm sorry that they missed off your uncle but I hope you now understand the reason and I hope that it does not affect too many others.

Regards,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat