Moderator Control Panel ]

Emma GAME

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Emma GAME

Postby SDV » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Emma GAME was the fourth child born to Charles GAME and Charlotte HART. If the 1841 census is to be believed she was born c1834 in Middlesex. The 1861 census indicates a birth in 1835 in Stoke Newington, the 1871 census 1836 in Newington, the 1881 census 1834 in Kingsland, the 1891 census 1835 in Kingsland, and finally the 1901 census 1835 in Kingsland. Emma died in 1904 in Barnet, having married Thomas William KIRKHAM/Kirkum back in 1858. So there is a lot of consistency here, suggesting a birth in 1834-6 in the Hackney area.

Now 1834 was a significant year for the family, as Emma's father Charles was convicted that year in the Old Bailey and transported to Tasmania for a period of 7 years, where he probably died. His wife, Charlotte remarried in 1843 as a widow to William smith. The five children from Charlotte's marriage to Charles seem to have ended up in the Edmonton Workhouse:

Eliza (b 1823) was working as a general servant at Boundary Place, Enfield - possibly an institution of some kind.

According to the 1841 census, Mary (b1825), Charles (b 1827), Charlotte (b 1829) and Emma (b1834) are all inmates in the Edmonton workhouse.

By the 1851 census, Mary and Charles have left the Workhouse and have married. The younger daughter Charlotte is still resident in the Edmonton Workhouse. There is, however, no sign of the even younger Emma, either in the Workhouse or outside. So where is Emma in the 1851 census?

Moreover, whilst there are obviously no birth certificates pre-1837, the four older children, who were all born in Edmonton, were all baptised at All Saints in Edmonton. There is no sign of any baptism record for Emma, either at All Saints or in Hackney.

So two questions to be answered:

(1) where was Emma during the 1851 census?
(2) where and when was Emma baptised?

Many thanks for any help.
SDV

Re: Emma GAME

Postby sdup26 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Mary Game married Alexander Duncan in Stepney, 1847, and in 1851, they're living in Margaret Street, Limehouse, Middlesex. Living with them is Alexander's sister-in-law, Emma Game aged 15.

I'm adding this, rather than deleting the above, partly to show what coincidences there are in family history searches, but also in case anyone else finds it while trying to help you, as the Emma Game in the census entry above isn't yours. She and her sister Margaret were born in Suffolk, and are on the 1841 census there.
sdup26

Postby sdup26 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 am

I know Emma married as 'Game' but is it possible she took her stepfather's surname from 1843, when her mother remarried, until her own marriage in 1858? In 1851, there's an Emma Smith b1834, unmarried, house servant, born West Hackney, Middlesex, in the household of Francis Collard, Roseberry Place, St John Hackney.
sdup26

Postby SDV » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:50 pm

sdup26 - anything is possible. I suppose she could have used her mother's married name of Smith, but can see no reason why she should, given that she was well aware of the name of her real father. Moreover, I have no idea of how to check the validity of your find.

My real surprise is that she isn't in the workhouse with her sister. Charlotte who was born in 1829 and was therefore 22 in 1851 was still in the workhouse, so why isn't Emma who was born in 1834 and is therefore only 17 in 1851. If anything I would have expected it to be the other way round, with Emma still in the workhouse and Charlotte working in the outside world.

The lack of a baptism is even more surprising because all of Emma's siblings were baptised, as were all of the children her mother had with her new husband. Emma's siblings were all baptised in All Saints in Edmonton, which is where I would have expected Emma to have been baptised. I suppose she could have been baptised in Hackney, where the census records suggest she was born.

As I said earlier, 1834 the year of her birth was the year her father was arrested, tried at the Old Bailey and subsequently transported to Australia, throwing the entire family into destitution. I would have thought that the family would have been thrown into the workhouse soon after his trial, as they no longer had any means of support. As far as I know the family were living in Edmonton at the time of his arrest, so I would have thought it more likely that Emma was born there rather than Hackney. Certainly by 1841, Emma and her siblings were in Edmonton workhouse, though I'm not sure when they entered the workhouse. Finding a record of the family entering the workhouse might be useful. Would Emma have stayed outside the workhouse with her mother for some time given her tender years? Maybe Emma and her mother moved to Hackney after the trial, which is why Emma gives Hackney as her birthplace rather than Edmonton.

I'm not sure how to progress this. Any help would be appreciated.
SDV

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:38 pm

I wondered if Emma may have taken her stepfather's surname because I'd exhausted searches for Emma Game. As you probably know, there are several family trees on ancestry that include Emma, and none has found her in 1851. But under Smith, here's a sad one:
Emma Smith aged 17 (1834) b Shoreditch, living with William and Alice King in Greenford (Mdx). Relationship to householder: "friendless."

I'm sorry I can't find anything helpful, especially a baptism, but it may have been the last thing on Charlotte's mind around the time of Emma's birth, given the circumstances. Does anyone know if the workhouse was likely to have a policy of requiring/providing baptisms?
sdup26

Postby MargaretSi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:18 pm

It is odd that the older sister is in the workhouse but not the younger, but she may have been boarded away. Have you looked at the workhouse records for Edmonton? According to the London Metropolitan Archives, there are
- records of the Overseers of the Poor including rate books, financial accounts, settlement certificates, pauper examinations, removal orders, bastardy bonds and apprenticeship indentures; in their archives.

Unfortunately I don't think that includes the record book of people taken into the workhouse, but there may also be material in the archives in Enfield itself.
MargaretSi

Postby kobie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:46 pm

It looks like Charlotte was still in the workhouse in 1851 because she had a son Charles Game born 1849/50. There is a baptism for him 24 May 1850 All saints Edmonton.

Jane
kobie

Postby SDV » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 am

Interesting. I have contacted the LMA to see if they can help. Coincidentally I was planning a trip to the Enfield Archives on another matter and will ask them if they can help when I am there.

I still can't find a baptism for Emma. It is strange that subsequent censuses give her birthplace as Hackney rather than Tottenham. Perhaps she was too young as a newborn to be separated from her mother, thus delaying her entry into the workhouse. This would explain why she associates her earliest years with Hackney rather than Tottenham.
SDV

Postby MargaretSi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:09 am

Perhaps Emma was working, in service, for example in 1851, and her employer misspelled her name, or couldn't be bothered to even check for a correct name, let along place of birth or precise age. Doesn't help you find her- but I have, I think, found single family members- both male and female- in service, who are otherwise missing from a census. It's often impossible to tell for sure- the name is near-ish correct, and the house or farm where they are working, is not too many miles from where the rest of the family is. But they then reappear in the next census after they are married and complete the census themselves.

Possibly Charlotte had a special need which meant she needed to stay in the workhouse- usually I think anyone who could work was sent away to work as soon as they were able, and in some cases before. I know young people who were really only children were sent from London to work in mills in Derbyshire.
MargaretSi

Postby sparrow » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:05 pm

1851: could this be her (entry is almost illegible!)
Emma S Ames
abt 1834 City Road, Middlesex, England Hackney, Middlesex
sparrow

Next

Return to General research queries