Moderator Control Panel ]

1963 Scottish death and Glasgow Newspapers

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1963 Scottish death and Glasgow Newspapers

Postby sandyscott21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:49 am

My great-aunt, Christina Baird died in Jun 1963 in Dennistoun, Glasgow.

On the death certificate COD is 'fracture dislocation of the cervical spine following a fall some a height'. She was 62 years old. I am keen to find out what happened - did she fall down the stairs at home? was it an accident or not? was it suicide from a bridge or building?

The records also have a stamp to the side that says 'SEE REG. OF COR. ENTS.'. I understand that this is a reference to a coroner's record but these were not preserved. If anyone knows of any other ways to find that information i'd be grateful.

I have also looked for newspaper reports in the BNA but they don't cover 1963 Glasgow (yet). Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the newspapers for June 1963 in Dennistoun, Glasgow?

Any help or tips appreciated.

Sandy
sandyscott21

Re: 1963 Scottish death and Glasgow Newspapers

Postby marmac » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am

Hi Sandy

Original entries in the Statutory Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages cannot be altered but sometimes an error is noted or additional information comes to light. These amendments are recorded in a separate register - the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE). A cross reference to the RCE volume and page is added in the margin of the Statutory Register entry.

Access to this is via a subscription to the Scotlandspeople website or, for a "one off", some local libraries will help you to access this information without a full subscription.

Good luck!
marmac

Postby Cmcquade » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 am

What date did she die?
Cmcquade

Postby AntonyM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:38 am

On-line coverage of any newspapers, especially local ones, is pretty poor post WW2 at the moment so you will need to access them directly.

Local newspapers are usually to be found in the relevant county or city archive and sometimes in the major libraries in the area (often on microfilm). I would start with the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

The British Library also has copies of almost all newspapers published in the UK which can be accessed in reading rooms at St Pancras or Boston Spa.
AntonyM

Postby Cmcquade » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 am

I looked in the deaths section in the Glasgow herald for all of June 1963 and no Christina Baird comes up.
Cmcquade

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:16 pm

I have needed to find these so seldom on ScotlandsPeople that my understanding may be wrong but on the 1 example that I remember (an 1874 death in Dundee), the entry from the Register of Corrected Entries was linked to from the image of the Death Certificate. It says, at the top of the page containing the DC:
There have been 1 corrections identified with this entry:View 1st correction (0 credits)

Note that while it says, "0 credits" here, I'm unsure whether that's because an RoCE is always free once you've bought the certificate (there would be sound legal reasons for this to be true) or whether it's because I've already paid (but I thought the phrase then was "paid" not "0 credits").

So, worth a check back in ScotlandsPeople, given you've already paid for it (unless it's an original paper copy, of course).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sandyscott21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:35 pm

marmac wrote:Hi Sandy

Original entries in the Statutory Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages cannot be altered but sometimes an error is noted or additional information comes to light. These amendments are recorded in a separate register - the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE). A cross reference to the RCE volume and page is added in the margin of the Statutory Register entry.

Access to this is via a subscription to the Scotlandspeople website or, for a "one off", some local libraries will help you to access this information without a full subscription.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply. I dug out the RCE entry which is also available online. It says in the wording that the 'report is the result of a precognition' which (thanks to google/wikipedia) seems to have been some sort of enquiry.

This matches with the change to the entry. COD on the original entry was 'fracture dislocation of the cervical spine following a fall from a height'. The same doctor performed an autopsy and so the RCE entry just says 'fracture dislocation of the cervical spine, as certified by David Bruce Neilson MB who dissected the body'.

So it seems that there was an autopsy after her death and the entry was changed to remove reference to a fall from a great height.

I think I'm even more curious about the circumstances of her death now!

Sandy
sandyscott21

Postby sandyscott21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm

AntonyM wrote:On-line coverage of any newspapers, especially local ones, is pretty poor post WW2 at the moment so you will need to access them directly.

Local newspapers are usually to be found in the relevant county or city archive and sometimes in the major libraries in the area (often on microfilm). I would start with the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

The British Library also has copies of almost all newspapers published in the UK which can be accessed in reading rooms at St Pancras or Boston Spa.

Thanks for the tip AntonyM. I live in London and hadn't thought of the British Library...will have to pop on in for a look.
sandyscott21

Postby sandyscott21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Cmcquade wrote:I looked in the deaths section in the Glasgow herald for all of June 1963 and no Christina Baird comes up.

I checked the certificate again - the actual date she died is April so my apologies for that - 21 April 1963. It seems that the RCE annotation is for June which must have been after the autopsy.

Her son, William E Baird was the informant as well. He lived at 141 Forge St Glasgow.

I'm not sure what records you have access to but if you find anything I'd be eternally grateful.

Sandy
sandyscott21

Postby ianbee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 pm

sandyscott21 wrote:I'm not sure what records you have access to

Glasgow Herald is available on Google news archive
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC
Including April 1963

Don't know how likely it is that you will find anything
Ian
ianbee

Next