Moderator Control Panel ]

1963 Scottish death and Glasgow Newspapers

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: 1963 Scottish death and Glasgow Newspapers

Postby scottie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Have a look at https://news.google.com/newspapers

They have The Evening Times and The Glasgow Herald up to 1990. It's free but has no search option so you would need to look through each newspaper in turn and hope you find something. This site has been of great use to me and I have found quite a few things this way though it does require patience and perseverance. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T310 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
scottie

Postby ianbee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:35 pm

ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:43 pm

scottie wrote:Have a look at https://news.google.com/newspapers

I already have
ianbee

Postby Cmcquade » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:51 am

I've searched the deaths in the Glasgow herald for April and part of May,but nothing comes up. The quality on some pages is terrible. I did try picking out key words,but again nothing. Maybe try another paper. Maybe they didn't pay for her name to be in the paper because they were waiting for the autopsy results to confirm what she died from?
Cmcquade

Postby junkers » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply. I dug out the RCE entry which is also available online. It says in the wording that the 'report is the result of a precognition' which (thanks to google/wikipedia) seems to have been some sort of enquiry.

This matches with the change to the entry. COD on the original entry was 'fracture dislocation of the cervical spine following a fall from a height'. The same doctor performed an autopsy and so the RCE entry just says 'fracture dislocation of the cervical spine, as certified by David Bruce Neilson MB who dissected the body'.

So it seems that there was an autopsy after her death and the entry was changed to remove reference to a fall from a great height.

I think I'm even more curious about the circumstances of her death now!

Sandy[/quote]

I think we can deduce that the coroner could not prove that the fall was from a height so omitted that and suicide would have been put on the death certificate, if that was his call. So it looks like an ordinary accident from wherever which resulted in death and that might be a reason why there appears to be no newspaper entry and there is nothing on the National Records of Scotland catalogue either.
junkers

Postby Cmcquade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:40 pm

junkers wrote:Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply. I dug out the RCE entry which is also available online. It says in the wording that the 'report is the result of a precognition' which (thanks to google/wikipedia) seems to have been some sort of enquiry.

This matches with the change to the entry. COD on the original entry was 'fracture dislocation of the cervical spine following a fall from a height'. The same doctor performed an autopsy and so the RCE entry just says 'fracture dislocation of the cervical spine, as certified by David Bruce Neilson MB who dissected the body'.

So it seems that there was an autopsy after her death and the entry was changed to remove reference to a fall from a great height.

I think I'm even more curious about the circumstances of her death now!

Sandy[/quote]

I think we can deduce that the coroner could not prove that the fall was from a height so omitted that and suicide would have been put on the death certificate, if that was his call. So it looks like an ordinary accident from wherever which resulted in death and that might be a reason why there appears to be no newspaper entry and there is nothing on the National Records of Scotland catalogue either.[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. If it had been suicide it would have made the papers.
Cmcquade

Previous

Return to General research queries