Moderator Control Panel ]

Who was Alexander Russel?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Who was Alexander Russel?

Postby sparrow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Not sure the designation 'widow' is reliable.In the case I encountered she did indeed describe herself as a widow, but she then went back to live with her first husband for the rest of her life! I only spotted the anomaly from the cemetery record, where she, first husband and daughter by second 'husband' are buried in the same plot, daughter with alternative surnames! I think there is a sense in which real life situations were kind of massaged to fit recording requirements! Similarly I do not necessarily believe a marriage record that notes the father as 'deceased'.
I don't suppose they ever thought anyone would be looking at the records a hundred or two hundred years later!
sparrow

Postby marmac » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks to all who have commented specifically or in general regarding the life of my elusive ancestor. Sadly, I am no further forward but will continue with the search and hope for that eureka moment!
marmac

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:34 pm

I've just caught up on this brick wall. I wouldn't get too concerned about the gap between the date of marriage and the first child being born. My gt gt grandparents went 10 years before they had their first child in the 1840s. Even today, many couples remain childless for years just hoping and suddenly a lovely surprise when they have almost given up hope. I have friends who had a child after 15 years following numerous miscarriages. Another acquaintance went 12 years between children despite their hopes. There is no rhyme nor reason why these things happen but they do.
brunes08

Previous

Return to General research queries