Moderator Control Panel ]

1911 census being rounded off to the nearest 5

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: 1911 census being rounded off to the nearest 5

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:14 pm

OK - sometimes it doesn't come easy for various reasons, in which case you need to take a step or two back to what you know. I'm not sure if it's your gran or great-gran born in 1910, but if it's your great gran born then, well, you may be starting too far back. Even if it's your gran, well, if you can't find her, you may be jumping too far back.

If you can't find someone then you need to start with the bits that you do know - potentially with your parents' marriage certificate. That will give you your grandfathers' names (if it's an English marriage) or all grand-parents' names (if it's a Scots marriage). If this seems ridiculously soon to start - it's not. There will be many people who are completely certain that their grandparents' names are, err, well, it's Gran and Grandpa innit? Even if you think you know their names, you may find that you don't. Both my grandfathers were called Jack - I never realised until I saw the certificates, that one was registered as John and the other as Jack.

Once you have the names (and hopefully ages) from the marriages, then you can look for birth certificates, which in turn give you their parents, so you look for their marriage certificates, etc, etc. Some of these certificates you may find around the house, of course. ScotlandsPeople has images online provided they are over 100y old (births), 75y (marriages), 50y (deaths) - otherwise the indexes are there but you have to order the actual certs.

It really is important to take things step at a time from a solid start - I had to start with my Nana's birth certificate because my Dad had no idea of his maternal grandmother's maiden name. Remember also that certificates can be spelt differently from what you expect (I'm seeing McCardie, e.g., as a variant), and births can be in different places.

It may occur to you that I've not mentioned censuses - yes - in theory you can do things by finding birth, marriage, birth, marriage certificates, etc. However, it's not a good idea to miss things out, but if she's not in the expected place, or is badly spelt, in the 1911, you have the certificate route. So try and get all the certificates and all the censuses and the death certificates - both as a mark of respect and because (if they are Scottish) they also give you the names of the deceased's parents' - well, in theory they do but sometimes they are not to be relied on.

Good luck.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:16 pm

PS - and never try to be too exact with your searches - I mentioned spelling but ages can be a bit further out than we imagine.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby elizabethanne ingle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Thank u I think you maybe right I know both my grandparents names and my grans mothers name so I shall go back to the library and see if they can help me that way with the records they have but thank you for the advice it's greatly appreciated ironically both my great grandfathers are called james lol

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
elizabethanne ingle

Postby WarksAncestors » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Elizabeth! Never take any age on the census as gospel, just ask any man the ages of all his children and he will probably struggle! Allow for a year either side in the later Census but the 1841,51,61 can be a bit of a lottery!
Iain..
Researching Cooke,Brant,Agar,Clarke,Morris,Cufflin,Battersby,Davie,Broadhurst,Barlow and more in Leicestershire
WarksAncestors

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:55 pm

It is important to remember the census only records the one night. People may not be where you expect them to be - even children. My great grandfather married twice. On the 1911 census he was with his two grown up sons from his first marriage. His second wife and new baby were not there but in another house about a mile away. I didn't know anything about her until a crucial piece of information cropped up not long ago. In another case in the 1911 census, three children were missing from the family home. After a lot of searching (poor transcription to blame) they were found in a hospital for infectious diseases some distance away.
brunes08

Postby Amazinggrace » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi,Is McCurdie her married name?
If not, where did the surname come from?
I've tried Elizabeth Graham and Elizabeth Thomson.Nothing on Scotlands People.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat