Moderator Control Panel ]

Frederick William Wilkins + wife

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Frederick William Wilkins + wife

Postby Cmcquade » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:02 pm

:o certainly something to think about. All I know is they lived in a big house in Teddington. My dad and uncle never met their nan. They said when they once went in the house to see their aunty they saw a picture of a man in uniform,but that's about it. Their dad John died when my dad was young so he didn't know him at all.
Cmcquade

Postby Cmcquade » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Im still searching for the marriage certificate between Frederick William Wilkins and Ellen esther Piercy (Wilkins) does anyone have any idea? I've found the records which were brought up before that ,but I still have no clue on this family.
Cmcquade

Re: Frederick William Wilkins + wife update

Postby Cmcquade » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I've recieved John Wilkins birth certificate which doesn't have Frederick William Wilkins listed as the father. Why would his mother say her surname was also Wilkins when theres no trace of their marriage? Can anyone help with further research on either Ellen or Frederick ?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1647 times
Cmcquade

Postby carobradford » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm

"Why would his mother say her surname was also Wilkins when theres no trace of their marriage?"

That's the whole point! If there had been a marriage then the father would be named and Ellen would be described as Ellen WILKINS, formerly PIERCEY. The certificate is evidence of what we all suspected - Ellen and Frederick were not married. The fact that Ellen is shown as "otherwise known as WILKINS" shows that she used his name, which she was perfectly entitled to do.

As others have suggested, it is probable that there was a reason why Ellen and Frederick did not marry and the most likely reason would be the existence of a wife. I will have a look around and see what I can find.
carobradford

Postby Cmcquade » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking. Strange if they had four children together and he was still married! I wonder if she ever found out? Or maybe he had a double life? I'd love to know more about him. I've found Ellen's birth certificate and I'm waiting on it at the moment,but Frederick is a different matter. I still can't find much on the man,birth,death and marriage(s).
Cmcquade

Postby Cmcquade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I've had a break through with my research. It seems Frederick was married two times. Once to a Florence and second to a Gertrude. Still not sure if he had met Ellen while with Gertrude or if Gertrude was already dead, but he never did marry Ellen. Coincidently his children with Gertrude seem to have very similar names to his children with Ellen. I only had this break through because I did a Dna test from ancestry which linked me to Fredericks granddaughter !(his daughter Violets child,whic was my grandads sister). Hope this makes sense. I now have the name of his father who was Thomas Wilkins and the names of both Ellen's parents. I'd like to thank everyone for helping with the Piercy birth certificate and getting Ellen's mother maiden name. Which I can confirm was Watson .Four years of research and I can now move forward. Thank you again everyone! Don't ever give up if you hit a brick wall.
Cmcquade

Previous

Return to General research queries