Moderator Control Panel ]

Adoption Query

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Adoption Query

Postby eurogordi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who doesn't want to make his name public on too many sites as will become obvious.

Born in 1961 to his birth mother, he has no idea who is unnamed birth father is. When his birth mother married a few years later in 1966 her husband appears to have legally adopted him.

My friend has a long birth certificate from 1961 showing his birth surname which he obtained from his local registry office. The father's information is left blank and "Adopted" is written on the right hand side.

He also has a short certificate issued in 1966 which shows his adopted surname which is the surname of his step-father. However, he has been unable to trace a long version of the 1966 document or any formal records of his adoption.

Can anyone advise where he should look for further information? Unfortunately there are no living relations who are able to assist him in his quest.
eurogordi

Re: Adoption Query

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm not sure that these links are necessarily going to help:

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records advises how to get a copy of the original birth certificate - and I suspect that is what the long certificate is.

The next page after that one is https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register explains how to put someone on the register to find a birth relative or an adopted person. As I understand it, this only works if the adoptee (is that a proper word?) and a birth relative both put their name on the Register. "This is not a tracing service - for a connection to be made between people, you must both be on the Adoption Contact Register", it says. There is a further link on from that one referring to Intermediary Agencies.

As I see it, the flaw here is that, assuming that is the proper, original birth certificate, then he was illegitimate and the father's name isn't there (in this case). That doesn't sound too hopeful as by this date there was no issue with having both parent names on the certificate providing they both turned up to the registration. That he didn't, does not suggest that the relationship was (or was able to be) acknowledged publicly.

I can't imagine this sort of thing is that rare with adoption. I have no understanding what financial support orders might have been made then, but if there were any, then I guess that they should reveal the father's identity. But I very much doubt that anyone can just pop along and consult the records.

Quite frankly, because of the confidentiality aspects, your friend might be best advised to consult the professionals, not genealogists.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Adoption Query

Postby AntonyM » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:41 am

eurogordi wrote:
He also has a short certificate issued in 1966 which shows his adopted surname which is the surname of his step-father. However, he has been unable to trace a long version of the 1966 document or any formal records of his adoption.

The long certificate he is missing is a copy of the entry from the Register of Adopted Children, which is the same format as a birth certificate but will have his adoptive parents (his mother + new father) listed as parents. This document is commonly used as a replacement birth certificate by any adopted person and a copy can be obtained easily from the General Register Office - it will not give any information about his birth father.

His birth father may be named in his adoption case papers, they often are but not always - and he has a right to have access to those. In the first instance he should contact the adoption services team in the council area where he now lives who will explain the process and help him see a copy of the paperwork.
AntonyM

Return to General research queries