Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert William Mason Burton

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Robert William Mason Burton

Postby Woolhe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:20 pm

My great great grandmother, Sarah Maria Burton, gave birth to an illegitimate son Robert William Mason Burton on 6 March 1876 at 3 South Street, Colchester.

Sarah Maria married my great great grandfather Charles Perry on 15 February 1880 at St Giles Church, Colchester.

In the 1881 census Sarah Maria, Charles and their daughter Elizabeth Mary (aged 9 months, my great grandmother) are living 23 Victoria Grove, South Hornsey, whilst Sarah Maria's son Robert W M Burton (aged 5) appears with his grandparents Robert and Elizabeth Burton at 3 Albert Cottages, South Street, Colchester.

In the 1891 census Sarah Maria, Charles and their children are living Aveley Road, Hackney whilst Sarah Maria's son Robert (listed by the name William Perry aged 14 - Bookbinders apprentice) is listed with the widow of Sarah Maria's brother, Robert Broughham Burton, Jane Burton at 10 Cyprus Street, Clerkenwell.

Although I have been able to trace all of Sarah Maria and Charles' children, I have hit a brick wall with Robert after this date. If anyone can lend a hand in tracking him down, I should be very grateful.
Woolhe

Re: Robert William Mason Burton

Postby sdup26 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:31 am

The problem is not knowing whether he kept the name William Perry, or reverted to Robert. In 1911, there's a William Perry aged 37 (c1874) b Colchester, Essex, waiter-valet in Oxford Mansions, Oxford Circus (transcribed as William Pun on ancestry).

In 1901, there doesn't seem to be a likely Robert or William, but this census was taken during the Boer War (1899-02). There are a couple of Robert Perry entries, and half a dozen William Perry entries in the Army records on findmypast, but no identifying features like age or place of birth.
sdup26

Postby catfordcrooner » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 pm

There is a possibility, that as an adult he reverted to his birth name of Burton
catfordcrooner

Postby Woolhe » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 am

Thank you sdup26, sorry for the delay in replying I've been rather busy and unable to get to the library where I do my research and send my posts from. I have tried the various combinations of Perry and Burton and had appreciated that therein lied my problem. I had hoped that his middle name of Mason might have stood out, but thank you for finding the waiter at Oxford Mansions I will investigate him further.

Yes catfordcrooner there is a chance he reverted to his Burton surname as an adult, but again where and how to find him, that is my problem.

Many thanks again for trying to help, I will keep digging.
Woolhe

Postby Woolhe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 am

I thought I would post a follow up to this query.

I would like to thank Who Do You Think You Are Magazine for reprinting my query, to sdup26 for finding William Perry in 1911 and mwtre for sending me a personal message locating him in the 1901 census on board ship under the name of William R Perry born St Giles, Essex.

Because of this information, I have now been able to trace William Robert Perry, as he identified himself, in the Royal Marines Light Infantry, records on FMP listing my great grandparents address as his residence, I have also obtained his service records from National Archives where he gave my great grandfather as his next of kin.

I subsequently found WWI records on Ancestry (William Perry), badly damaged but surviving information showed he married in 1913 and partial information of children. Marriage found on Ancestry, although clerk was having a very bad day and made umpteen mistakes which he had to correct!! (copying information from previous marriage in record). Births of two daughters found at FreeBMD in 1914 and 1917.

Unfortunately William Robert died prior to the 1939 Register as I have found his wife and two daughters listed there, possible death found William R Perry June quarter 1937, Finsbury (although family living Berkhamsted from WWI records 1919 and in 1939 Register).

Many thanks again to all for heliping break down this particular brickwall. :D
Woolhe

Postby sdup26 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 am

That's really good news for you, and many thanks for letting us know.
sdup26

Return to General research queries