Moderator Control Panel ]

1911 Cenus - multiple families in same house

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: 1911 Cenus - multiple families in same house

Postby ianbee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:24 am

Any thoughts, James?
ianbee

Postby JamesLeeKennett » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:58 am

I would like to say a huge and heartfelt "Thank You" to everybody who has posted a reply. I am simply amazed that you have taken the time to research your answers so thoroughly, and even though this is my 1st post on this (or any) forum, I have been dabbling in family tree research for years, but your replies have opened up resources I hadn't considered before.
In relation to this query, I asked the friend about the layout of his building. He states that it is 4 floors and a basement. The top 2 floors of the building are one dwelling (aka 1 family occupy those 2 floors currently). Then each remaining floor (including the basement) is a separate dwelling. My friend is in the basement, so its looking highly unlikely that the Garruds lived in his flat, which is a shame as they are very interesting historical figures (there is a blue plaque in Islington identifying another residence where Edith lived. a bench plaque and sculpture in Finsbury Park).

Specific answer for Guy: I think its unlikely the dojo was in the basement flat, as during researching her I have found that at various times she had a Dojo on Seven Sisters Road, and Oxford Street, but none mentioned in Hartham Road. The Oxford Street one is of interest because it has been speculated that the Suffragettes, after a campaign of windopw breaking, would hides themselves in the Oxford Street Dojo, and any items that they didn't want the police to find were placed under the floorboards there! I wish I could post images here - I have a few great ones!

Thanks again, James
JamesLeeKennett

Postby Guy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:56 pm

JamesLeeKennett wrote:
Specific answer for Guy: I think its unlikely the dojo was in the basement flat, as during researching her I have found that at various times she had a Dojo on Seven Sisters Road, and Oxford Street, but none mentioned in Hartham Road. The Oxford Street one is of interest because it has been speculated that the Suffragettes, after a campaign of windopw breaking, would hides themselves in the Oxford Street Dojo, and any items that they didn't want the police to find were placed under the floorboards there! I wish I could post images here - I have a few great ones!

Thanks again, James

Yes a quick Google search (Wikipedia) in fact mentions "1908, William took over as the owner and manager of the Golden Square school and Edith became the instructor of the women's and children's classes."
Another reference states "a room at the Palladium Academy dance school in Argyll Street." and others as you mention other locations.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Previous

Return to General research queries