Moderator Control Panel ]

MILES Frederick John

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

MILES Frederick John

Postby leonorapike » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 pm

I am trying to trace the birth of my grandfather. I have some info about him. He died in 1948 at High Wycombe Hospital and lived at The Polecat Public House of which he was licensee. He was married twice. The first time to Emily Amelia Bradford in December 1896. His address on marriage was 14 Prospect Cottages, Wandsworth, his age is given as 22, giving a birth year of 1874 and his occupation "fitter". His father was Charles Miles, a carpenter. The witnesses to his marriage were Mary Anne Rumble and the bride's father. They had 7 children. His wife died in 1923.

He remarried in July 1925 to Dorothy Tanton. At that time he was living in Cuxton, Kent, and was a railway officer. He gave his age as 46, giving a birth year of 1879. His father was Charles Miles deceased, a butcher. Witnesses to the marriage were all from the bride's family.

I do not know who his mother was but all the above is correct.On the census he says he was born in Worthing, Sussex.

Any help would be appreciated regarding his birth.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
leonorapike

Re: MILES Frederick John

Postby MoVidger » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Haven't located any birth details yet. However, there is a record on Find My Past which may relate to your grandfather:

British Army Service Records
Frederick Miles
Born 1876
Event 1893

Sorry, I've run out of FMP credits, so can't check the record for you. :(

In the 1871 census, there is a Charles Miles living in Broadwater, Worthing, Sussex:

Charles Miles
Single
Born 1845 in Godalming, Surrey
Lodger with the Henry & Hope Guy family
MoVidger

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:05 am

The Army record referred to by MoVidger shows:
No.6207 3rd Bn Royal Sussex Regt
Frederick Miles, born parish of Broadwater near Hastings, Sussex
Age 17 years and 10 mths
attests: 17 Oct 1893 for 6 years
He developed arthritis and bought himself out on 8 May 1899
NOK: George Miles, 18 London Street, Worthing

Given his marriage in 1896 and that he shows only as a Fitter, not in the army, this is unlikely to be the same man, but should not be totally dismissed "just in case" ....
Sylcec

Postby leonorapike » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Many thanks for your help, I have disregarded the Army as I know his whereabouts from the time he married, some of the children being born in London and the others including my mother in Cuxton, Kent. He was licensee at the Birchmore Arms, Woburn, and also at the leathern bottle, cobham, Kent, all after he married Dorothy Tanton, whose family seem to have been publicans. He was a railway signalman at Cuxton, Kent, I know for definite, visited the house where they lived with my mother over 30 years ago. I have in the back of my mind that it was mentioned he was in a home at some stage, but do not know where and if this is correct!

leonorapike

Postby leonorapike » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:34 pm

I will order the birth certificate for 1876, thank you, and see where that takes me! When you mention the 1939 register do you mean the electoral register? I found his dates for the Birchmore Arms from the Beds County Council website.

leonorapike

Postby ianbee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Unfortunately, that birth registration looks like it will be for the son of Robert Miles and Sarah (nee Scotton?). Age 4 in 1881, in Stalham, Norfolk. Father Robert Miles was a clock and watch maker
In 1901 Frederick Miles, 24, born Stalham, is married and living in North Walsham.
June 1899, Smallburgh 4b 97, Frederick John Miles + Alice Maria Bates.
ianbee

Postby leonorapike » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:51 pm

I have a feeling my grandfather hasn't quite told the truth, I am beginning to wonder if he was illegitimate. I have gone down several avenues looking for him, different birth dates etc. I have not been successful so far, but thanks for your help.

leonorapike

Postby leonorapike » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:37 pm

What is the 1939 register, please, and where do I find it?

leonorapike

Postby ianbee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:04 pm

The 1939 Register was taken 29 September 1939.
"The information was to produce Identity Cards and, once rationing was introduced in January 1940, to facilitate the issuing of ration books. Information in the Register was also used to administer conscription and division of labour, and to monitor and control the movement of the population caused by military mobilisation and mass evacuation."
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... -register/

It's available on findmypast, you can search the free index here
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-w ... 9-register

The district or borough or city where the person is living is given. And if you click on "preview "you will get a little more info, another name which "is also on this record", and an indication of the number of open/closed persons in the household.
Refine your search if you want by using the boxes provided for day/month/year of birth, marital status, etc. Remember though that the transcriptions are not always 100% accurate (and occasionally neither is the info that was originally given!)
To view the record you will need a sub, or you can purchase credits. If findmypast is available at your local library you can see it there.
ianbee

Postby leonorapike » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you for the info. Will have a look at find my past and buy some credits. I have been looking for my grandfather's birth certificate for about ten years now, but have traced his wife's side of the family with ease! He also worked in the railway as signalman at Cuxton in Kent, definitely there in 1910, but of course, there is more than one Frederick John Miles listed on the railway records! I will keep searching! Thanks.

leonorapike

Next

Return to General research queries