Moderator Control Panel ]

MILES Frederick John

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: MILES Frederick John

Postby leonorapike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Can anybody please help me with finding details of railway employees, southern railway. My grandfather was definitely employed with southern rail in 1910 but Ancestry doesn't help me. What I am looking for is a birth date. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
leonorapike

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm

There are a couple of reference books that may be found in local libraries that go through what the staff records are for various railways. Most, but by no means all, are at TNA at Kew, and most of those are supposed to be in the Ancestry collections. Or so they say.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about the railways in that area, so this is really just a "What to do if no-one else answers" type response.

However, I can say that he was not employed by Southern in 1910. The Southern Railway was not created until 1923 when it was amalgamated from the London & South Western, the London, Brighton & South Coast, and the South Eastern & Chatham. The SEC in its turn was formed from the South Eastern and the London Chatham & Dover. Whether that makes any difference whatsoever, I have no idea!

Be warned that survival of railway staff records is very patchy both between and within companies - that's why it's essential to get hold of one of those reference books where someone's already done the hard work.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MoVidger » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 pm

There is a brief obituary for Frederick in the Bucks Herald (dated 10 December 1948). It states "After a long illness, Mr Frederick John Miles, licensee of 'The Polecat Inn', died there at the age of 73. He came from Woburn Sands, and his wife, who survives him, was Miss Dorothy Tanton, daughter of a former licensee of 'The Polecat'."

Isn't Woburn Sands located near Milton Keynes?
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Re the railway staff records:
Now that I can access my stuff, I see that Cuxton would have been on the South Eastern and Chatham in 1910 - the SECR was formed in 1899 but whether Cuxton was SER or LCDR previously, I can't tell.

SER stuff is all at Kew in RAIL635

LCDR at Kew in RAIL415.

I can't find a specific reference to the amalgamated SECR. Whether such records follow on in the earlier books, I don't know.

Unfortunately, none of the descriptions in my book (Railway Ancestors by David Hawkings) seem to cover signallers. You would need to get the books out at Kew to be certain.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby paulr1949 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 am

AdrianB38 wrote:Re the railway staff records:
Now that I can access my stuff, I see that Cuxton would have been on the South Eastern and Chatham in 1910 - the SECR was formed in 1899 but whether Cuxton was SER or LCDR previously, I can't tell.

SER stuff is all at Kew in RAIL635

LCDR at Kew in RAIL415.

Cuxton was on the South Eastern railway prior to its amalgamating with the London Chatham & Dover.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for that - the original split wasn't in my rail atlas.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby leonorapike » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Many thanks for all the info. He said he was employed by southern railway as a signalman on his wife's death certificate in 1925, but when my mother was born in 1910 in Cuxton he described himself as a signalman. Really what I am looking for is his birth date and thought it may be in the railway records. My other option is to go to my local library to see if they still have the Bucks Assizes records for licensing when he was granted the licence for The Polecat. In any case thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
leonorapike

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:20 pm

MoVidger wrote:Isn't Woburn Sands located near Milton Keynes?

Yes and Woburn.
ksouthall

Previous

Return to General research queries