Moderator Control Panel ]

Military uniform - dating advice please

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Military uniform - dating advice please

Postby Singleton1922 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Thank you all. This is very helpful.

Maureen, that's a good idea and it would certainly help to narrow down the date. Unfortunately the studio stamp is embossed and doesn't photograph well. I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me.

Adrian, I'm certainly coming to the conclusion that Gunner Charlie is not the soldier in the photo. I wondered if Alfs was slang but I've not found anything in my search for that. I had considered the distance to Kent but thought that men didn't necessarily enlist in a local regiment (I'm probably thinking of conscripted soldiers though). I remember seeing a postcard from Sittingbourne sent to my grandad from his cousin Will so I probably need to research cousins as well as brothers.

Dan, I'm also very impressed by your knowledge. A date in the 1920s would certainly fit with the period the regiment was in India.

At least now I have some ideas to work on.

Sandra

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks Dan - I think that I've seen various bits on postcard dating (and dating of franks on stamps) but I've thought, "Oh interesting" and not necessarily bookmarked them.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Sandra, certainly men didn't necessarily enlist in their local regiment - and conscription could, in theory, put them anywhere. But infantry regiments were given bases and recruiting areas so volunteers *tended* to go into a regiment covering a nearby area or based nearby. I've seen it suggested that even under conscription, there was a tendency to fill the requirements of the local regiments first.

None of the above says that such a recruitment from Grimsby into the RWK couldn't happen - it simply makes it less likely and suggests that you should prioritise alternatives first.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Singleton1922 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Adrian, I think you're absolutely correct. I read the postcard again (appalling writing); it's not from Will, but about him. It says that the view (Sittingbourne) is 'close to where your cousin Will is living, Uncle Alf's son'. I'll be using Ancestry later to try to trace Alf and hopefully Charlie too.

Singleton1922

Postby Singleton1922 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:34 pm

After the help I've had from forum members I've managed to trace Alf's Charlie.

The man in the photo is Charles B Wood, born 1894 in Chatham, Kent. His father was Alfred Wood, born 1863 in Horncastle, Lincs. I won't have access to his service record as it will still be with the MOD. However I have found a medal card which I think is for him and this has the medals you would expect for service in India.

Thanks for all the advice
Sandra

Singleton1922

Previous

Return to Military help