Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: 1939 census

Postby Ashbee » Mon May 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Well, thank you Guy! Sorry for calling it a census, my mistake. I'm not good at reading the instructions/information but just dive in head first. To me it looked like a c..... so that's what Is :oops:
Ashbee

Postby Guy » Mon May 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Ashbee wrote:Well, thank you Guy! Sorry for calling it a census, my mistake. I'm not good at reading the instructions/information but just dive in head first. To me it looked like a c..... so that's what Is :oops:

No need to apologise Ashbee, my posting was tongue in cheek, not even the NHS would dare to close it now!

But on a serious note, public perception of records does affect whether they are released or kept closed and the more who complain about breach of privacy, identity theft etc. the tighter the controls on records are.

When I was a boy one could walk into a the Superintendent Registrar's office and pay a small fee to view civil registers of birth, marriage and death. That was stopped in 1975 without any change in the legislation apparently due to life assurance companies not purchasing certificates.
Not quite the same vein but it shows how access can be cut off at the drop of a hat.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Ashbee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:04 pm

When I was a boy one could walk into a the Superintendent Registrar's office and pay a small fee to view civil registers of birth, marriage and death. That was stopped in 1975 without any change in the legislation apparently due to life assurance companies not purchasing certificates

Guy, I know I'm being dense but I can't work out why life assurance companies not purchasing certificates would stop general access to civil registers - please put me out of my misery and explain :cry:

Ive been trying to catch a link to my odd location to post here in the hope someone could shed light for me but I'm failing...The person concerned is Winifred Green/Weston, born 1915, living in Islington, London. She's towards the bottom of the list that is described as Tollington Park School sub-station. If anyone can explain what this is or why Winifred would be there (she's clearly not working) I'd be very pleased.
Ashbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:23 pm

She was in the Auxiliary Fire Service. That's why she's there. Nearly the whole enumeration district comprises London Fire Brigade and AFS. The school was being used as a sub-station.
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:30 pm

On this diversion, the phrase Life Assurance rung a bell and I double checked...

The only great grandparent I ever knew died in 1960 and for some reason I have a photocopy of a 1960 copy of her death certificate issued to her son on the other side of the country. At the top it says "Issued at a fee of one shilling in pursuance of and for the purposes of the First Schedule to the Industrial Assurance and Friendly Societies Act 1948".

So presumably ​her son was making a claim and I'd guess that every such claim was a shilling to the GRO until the assurance companies twigged that they could get the certificates for free by simply turning up and looking at the books at the Registrar's.

Interesting... Though I have a bigger wish that she'd told me some of the stories of her own grandfather born about 1810 somewhere in Ireland... One intermediate step and I'm back in the Napoleonic era... Wow. If only.... (I was only 6 at the time).

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Ashbee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Thank you! That explains it. I knew she went to work on the railways during the war but didn't know anything about this. Would that have made her a fire warden?
Ashbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:03 pm

It says W.A.F.S. Dr (but no number)
Women's Auxiliary Fire Service
Driver?
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Ashbee wrote:... Would that have made her a fire warden?

Not as I understand it. The Auxiliary Fire Service was concerned with putting fires out. The fire wardens tried to stop them happening and kept a lookout for fires.

I got the impression on a quick Google, that women in the AFS were support staff, rather than active firefighters.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Ashbee » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:47 am

That's interesting. A case of 'what did you do in the war, grandma?' No one ever mentioned this about her, just more negative traits. Would this have been voluntary?
Ashbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:35 am

Voluntary? Not sure - I knew nothing about them before this thread so everything I know comes from Google, Wikipedia, etc. I'm getting the idea that to start with, at least, the AFS organisation was part time and surely therefore voluntary. Gut feeling is that any part time organisation needs a full time administrative core to allow it to function so I'd never deny the possibility of full time employment in it. I'd suggest that you Google around - there appear to be several sites with people's memories of AFS service that might help you see the sort of thing that she might have been involved with.

Adrian
AdrianB38

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries