Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: 1939 census

Postby Ashbee » Sat May 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Well, my grAn has been found very close to where her husband was living along with the rest of her family so she hadn't disappeared up north as my mum thought. However she was using another name although the gentleman whose name she had taken wasn't there (I think he was with his wife - life can be complicated can't it!)

However, she was at what is described as Tollington Park Central School sub-station along with a whole page of others...can anyone shed light on what this place was?

And, was this - like census - a snapshot of the population on that night i.e. If they were away from home for that night only would they have to be recorded elsewhere and not at their home address?
Ashbee

Postby Ashbee » Sat May 27, 2017 12:28 pm

My apologies, I think I've jumped the gun and made assumptions! Very bad for a family historian!

My gran was originally recorded with her own name but that was crossed out and another name added but having read how this document has been altered over time I suspect the change of name was added a couple of years later when she did officially change her name by deed poll. My mistake is to keep treating it as a census which, has been pointed out, it is not.

However, I am still curious about the sub-station address so if anyone can enlighten me I'd be very grateful. Thank you for your patience :D
Ashbee

Postby brunes08 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:05 pm

If you google Tollington Park Central School you will find lots of sites for it. The school was in Islington, North London.
Changes of name on the Register were carried out when an individual's status changed. For example, my mother was originally listed with her parents but her surname was over-written when she married my father. During the war years this was essential because Identity Cards were based on the Register. From this, Ration Books were issued and these were different for some individuals. Children, pregnant mothers, those working in heavy industry etc were allowed different rations according to their needs. The Register was not like the one night on the census returns. It was a continually updated.
brunes08

Postby Ashbee » Sat May 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Brunes08
I know Tollington school as I lived in the area but I don't understand the sub-station connection nor why so many people were recorded at that address. I thought it might be a night-shift but why would my nan be doing 'unpaid domestic duties' and there also be a jewellers assistant registered there? I wondered if it had been made into a shelter at that time but had bombing began that early? It is a fascinating document, I wish I could see more just out of curiosity but my subscription restricts me...
Ashbee

Postby brunes08 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 pm

I wonder if it would be useful to contact the London Metropolitan Archives. They might have some information to help.
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Sat May 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Ashbee wrote:And, was this - like census - a snapshot of the population on that night i.e. If they were away from home for that night only would they have to be recorded elsewhere and not at their home address?

Yes, that is exactly right.
Like some others, I get a bit irritated when I see it called the 1939 Census, but we can't really deny that it is a kind of census. Bearing in mind that the 1931 census was lost in a fire during the war, and the 1941 census was cancelled, the 1939 Register is a wonderful resource. Even though we are not allowed to see everybody on it!
Ian
ianbee

Postby junkers » Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Quite right it was not a census, but of course only the 1931 Census for England and Wales was lost. Of course not everyone who is dead have their details open. A classic case of not giving closed Government records to a private company!.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:34 pm

I keep reminding you that the rules of data confidentiality do not distinguish between private enterprise and government.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Sun May 28, 2017 6:59 pm

ianbee wrote:Like some others, I get a bit irritated when I see it called the 1939 Census, but we can't really deny that it is a kind of census. Bearing in mind that the 1931 census was lost in a fire during the war, and the 1941 census was cancelled, the 1939 Register is a wonderful resource. Even though we are not allowed to see everybody on it!
Ian

Yes we not only can deny it was a census but should never suggest it was. ;)
If it was a census it would be closed until 2040, if it was ever released, don't give the NHS the chance to suggest the general public think of it as a census. (It took a lot of effort and not a little money to prove it was not). ;)

Sorry I can't help with the sub-station bit, it might help if you can point us to the image

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

1939 census

Postby Mick Loney » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 am

For those who weren't aware, it was Guy we should thank for getting the 1939 register made available to us in the first place! Hence his subtle hint about not calling it a census :) :)
Thanks Guy

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries