Moderator Control Panel ]

David John James

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

David John James

Postby Mazzerati54 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:24 am

Hi from a complete Newbie!
I'm trying to find information on a family in the 1891 Wales Census. They lived at 2 Llangyfelach St., Llangyfelach, Swansea, Glamorgan. The Town is Clase. ED number 6; Piece: 4473; Folio: 54 and Page Number is 1.
The Head is David Griffiths, his wife is Margaret (nee James) - both aged 22. The James children were living with them (Elizabeth, 22; Catherine, 15 and David John, also 15 - all Tin Plate Workers). David and Margaret also have a 1 month old son, John James Griffiths.
My great-grandfather is David John James, a Tin Plate Worker. I know nothing of his birth or family details apart from the 6 years he was married to my great-grandmother (Mary) Elizabeth Foster (in 1896 in London). On the Marriage Certificate he lists his father as David James, a Ship's Carpenter (deceased).
Sadly, David committed suicide in 1902 and we think (from 2 photos we have) he was in the Boer War and discharged as "Insane" in late 1901.
I would like to find out if this family has any descendants I can contact to see if this is indeed my David.
Regards,
Marilyn Brown
South Australia
Mazzerati54

Re: David John James

Postby sdup26 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:22 pm

I can't find a David John James with a father David who was a ship's carpenter, or any sort of carpenter. In 1891, Elizabeth, Catherine, and David John James (living with the Griffiths) all say they were born in Merthyr Tydfil.
As Jo found in her previous post, in 1881, there's a James family with daughters Catherine & Elizabeth, and son David J, living in Swansea, all children born in Merthyr, but father is John and mother Ann. I think this David John is still at home in 1901. And there are four freebmd birth entries 1875-77 for David John James in Merthyr, so no easy answers.
You say you think that that David John may have been discharged from the Army in 1901 as 'insane.' With that in mind, I wonder about the David John James who was attested into the Dorsetshire Regiment in 1894 aged 18 (born 1876). He was born in Swansea, but says he doesn't know his parish of birth. He gives his next of kin as his aunt, Ester Vaughan, address Tramway Cottage, Swansea. Shortly after attestation, he was discharged as 'not likely to become an efficient soldier.' In 1891, David John James is one of four listed as 'boarder' in the household of James and Esther Vaughan, Tramway Cottage, Swansea.
sdup26

Return to General research queries