Moderator Control Panel ]

Fake I.Ds.

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Fake I.Ds.

Postby Guy » Sun May 21, 2017 6:53 pm

This week is a good example why the paranoia about showing details of live people on forums and websites is just that paranoia.

People claim that criminals could apply for passports or driving licences in order to clone your id with the aid of such documents purchased with such details but the truth is and has been at least the whole of this century and many decades previously that criminals could get passports and driving licences far more easily than trawling websites and forums in the hope of turning up the correct details to apply for a passport or driving licence.
This week's spam emails have been a classic demonstration that such documents are available and indeed have been available for years.
I will obviously not repeat the details of what is available here but it is virtually and document you want with in most cases the correct security details that would fool all but the most thorough checks.
Much of the information is not gleaned from the internet but from legitimate use of the documents and from peoples waste bins.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Re: Fake I.Ds.

Postby junkers » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm

And of course the revelation that undercover police were using the names of dead children.
junkers

Re: Fake I.Ds.

Postby AntonyM » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:34 pm

junkers wrote:And of course the revelation that undercover police were using the names of dead children.

That was something Special Branch learnt from the security services who had been doing it for decades, hence it being featured in the "Day of the Jackal" by Frederick Forsyth who had plenty of contacts in MI6 and such places (allegedly)
AntonyM

Return to Genealogy chat