Moderator Control Panel ]

Local Newspapers - Warwickshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Local Newspapers - Warwickshire

Postby Past Times » Fri May 19, 2017 2:46 pm

I have been searching various online newspapers for the report of an Inquest held in September, 1838, after the death of a young woman named Harriet LANGTON (aged 19) who lived with her maternal grandparents (William & Ann Langton) in the village of Austrey, Warwickshire.

She died on 22nd Sept 1838 after swallowing poison. From what I have so far established, she had been the victim of on-going abuse of some kind. I am unsure if physical or verbal, although from the pointedly insinuating inscription on her headstone, I suspect the latter. Perhaps slandering her name/character, something of that sort.

I have checked FMP and the British Newspaper archive on line, but can find nothing about it - so, I wonder if anyone can tell me what local papers would have covered that area in the late 1830's - and also if there are any other places I can try online please?

I live several hundred miles from Warwickshire, so not able to access the record office there in person, but if I can find out which newspaper would have covered that area, I may be able to hire a researcher to look it up for me.

Thank you :)
Quaerentes Semper Familia Generationes
Past Times

Re: Local Newspapers - Warwickshire

Postby sdup26 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

You've tried http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk but as Austrey is close to Tamworth, Warwickshire, on the border with Leicestershire, it would be worth searching both counties.
sdup26

Return to General research queries