Moderator Control Panel ]

London taxi cab drivers pre-1950s

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

London taxi cab drivers pre-1950s

Postby Ashbee » Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Does anyone have experience researching the above? I've three generations and several ancestors who were London cabbies dating from around the 1950s and back into Victorian times when they drove Hanson cabs. I know they needed licences but I don't really know where to begin and my first efforts to find records has drawn blanks.
Ashbee

Re: London taxi cab drivers pre-1950s

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu May 18, 2017 8:32 pm

I have no experience of london cabs but there is a website you could try.
It's The Worshipful Company of Hackney Carriage Drivers.
e-mail address is, wchcd@tiscali.co.uk.
good Luck
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Postby peter kent » Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am

The Public Carriage Office is responsible for the licensing of taxis (Hackney Carriages) and their drivers. Surviving administrative records are at the National Archives.

But, according to the London Metropolitan Archives,

"no registers of licences appear to have survived. Many records were lost when the office of the Hackney Coach Commissioners was destroyed by fire in 1770. The Public Carriage
Office, Palestra, 197 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8NJ (tel: 0845 602 7000) is
currently responsible for the licensing of taxi drivers within the metropolitan area of
London, but it retains records of individual taxi drivers for six years only after the
death or retirement of a driver
."

I've got London taxi drivers in my tree and I've dug around for records and have no reason to doubt that LMA is correct and that there are no surviving useful records.

Sorry.
peter kent

Postby Ashbee » Fri May 19, 2017 7:15 am

That's exactly what I thought but I wanted to be sure, thank you. Another avenue blocked off ...
Ashbee

Return to General research queries