Moderator Control Panel ]

Joan Lutley/Galpin

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Joan Lutley/Galpin

Postby James1959 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello
I am researching Joan Lutley who was born in Sussex in 1904. Her mother was Fanny C Higham. Joan went to school in Somerset and Cornwall. I believe she became a teacher and went to live in South Africa. She married someone with the surname of Galpin. Her mother did not marry Lutley, he died in 1906. I have the details from passenger lists for Joan and there was nothing left to Joan in Lutley will
I trying to find out more details on who Joan married and if they had any children?
Also when did she died and where she is buried
Regards
Trevor Williams
Last edited by James1959 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James1959

Re: Joan Lutley/Galpin

Postby Sylcec » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 am

Looking at the BT27 Passenger Lists (Findmypast or Ancestry) there are 2 possible entries:
Dep: London, 4 Feb 1929, Miss J Lutley, ship: City of Alexandria; destination: Port Elizabeth, Sth Africa
She was described as a Governess whose UK address was Maragion, Cornwall.
She arrived back in England 24 Sept 1931
Dep: Southampton, 29 Sep 1933, Miss J Lutley, teacher, home address as for 1929, per ship: Winchester Castle, to the CApe, Sth Africa

Is she also the Mrs J Galpin, 1st class passenger, returning to Sth Africa 25 Aug 1947 (UK address, Fowey, Cornwall)?
Sylcec

Return to General research queries