Moderator Control Panel ]

can anyone help me please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby jennyhowarth » Wed May 17, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm trying to find out my Great Grandad's parents but also his birth,

I have his death certificate but there is a lot of possibilities for his birth and I don't want to waste money buying certificates when theirs a chance it could no be the one I'm looking for.

My Great Grandfather was called James Howarth born around 1871/72 from information I have gathered.

I've managed to locate him with his parents in 1881, with his mother and father Joseph and Elizabeth Mary Howarth and his sister Annie.

Unfortunately, they only had two children so that doesn't help much.

I've located his sister's birth certificate as Annie was born 1874 to parent Joseph Howarth and Elizabeth Mary Howarth (maiden name Byrom)

Unfortunately, i can't locate a marriage record for Joseph Howarth to Elizabeth Mary Byrom in Lancashire around the early 1870's I've tried looking from around 1865 till 1875 but no look.

The confusing part is I've located a baptism record for a James Hobart Howarth born January 1872 in All Saints Church Elton Bury, with parents Joseph Howarth to Elizabeth Mary Byrom.

But I'm uncertain if this James as on 1939 register his date of birth was recorded down as the 18 December 1871.

But also on his death certificate, his name is recorded down as James Byrom Howarth died in 1951, even though on the census records and his marriage record his is down as just James Howarth.

If anyone could help me with this would be fantastic.

Thank You

Jenny
jennyhowarth

Re: can anyone help me please

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 pm

jennyhowarth wrote:...The confusing part is I've located a baptism record for a James Hobart Howarth born January 1872 in All Saints Church Elton Bury, with parents Joseph Howarth to Elizabeth Mary Byrom.

Now you need to look carefully at that - it's on Ancestry in "Manchester, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915" and it has parents listed as "Joseph Howarth and Elizabeth Mary Byron" - that means that in 1872, the parents of that child were not married. (Everything else has a single surname in the surname column - this has the two). This would explain the lack of a marriage up to that point.

The certificate for that will normally be under the mother's name. On the GRO site, it's this one:
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
BYRON, JAMES -
GRO Reference: 1872 M Quarter in ROCHDALE Volume 08E Page 13
(No mother's maiden name, you see)

This one is clearly Byron (as in the poet) - whether it has anything to do with your chap, I'll let you decide....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby jennyhowarth » Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Thank you for your help Adrian
jennyhowarth

Postby trace » Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Have you ruled out this marriage? James might have been known as Joseph?

James Howarth & Elizabeth Byrom 1865 Bury
trace

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Jenny,
Regards your confusion over the date of birth and the registration the following year. Parents had a few weeks (6 weeks I think) to register a birth. So it is quite reasonable for him to be born 18 December, and not be registered till the following year. Some even go as far as misquoting the birth date, so it would appear they are registering the birth within the period allowed. My own father is a case in point! He was born 18 December too, but his birth certificate says 31 December!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries