Moderator Control Panel ]

Theberton Street, Islington

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Theberton Street, Islington

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 16, 2017 5:45 pm

When my great-aunt married on 18 November 1911, she and the groom (James Murphy) listed their residence as "6 Theberton Street, Islington". The 1911 census shows the bride living with her family in Aldershot. So I presume the Theberton Street address may relate more to the groom, although he was Irish. However, I am unable to locate James in the 1911 census, particularly in Islington.

According to the marriage cert, his occupation was "hairdresser's assistant". (By late 1912, he was a private with the Royal Irish Fusiliers and stationed at Shorncliffe Camp, Kent).

I've tried searching for 6 Theberton Street in various 1911 census returns. The closest addresses I can find are people living at 3 and 11 Theberton St. So I'm wondering if no. 6 was a pub or eaterie at the time? If so, was this simply an arbitrary address chosen for marriage purposes?

Edit: The groom's occupation of "hairdresser's assistant" could be a bit of deception, as he may have already been in the army by 1911. His father's occupation is given as "Hairdresser (Master)" so it could be a white lie. There is a James Murphy (age 21) with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers stationed at Headley, Hampshire in the 1911 census, not far from Aldershot. Birthplace is Dundalk, Louth, Ireland.
MoVidger

Re: Theberton Street, Islington

Postby ianbee » Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Mo
Don't forget that you can search the 1911 census by address on findmypast. Click on the the green "Address" box on the search page
Results include 6 Theberton Street and 6 Theberton Street West

And on ancestry you can search the 1911 England Census Summary Books by address, surnames only are given in most cases.
Ian
ianbee

Re: Theberton Street, Islington

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks Ian! I wasn't aware of that (nifty) search facility on FMP. Previously I'd just been going into the basic Census, Land & Surveys page -- then inputting the desired street name and census year, etc. I didn't realise the 1911 Census for England & Wales screen yields much better results!

Anyway, I checked both "6 Theberton Street" reports you mentioned. Neither occupant family rings a bell with me. Perhaps James Murphy and/or my great-aunt knew one of the occupants, and used their address for marriage purposes. But I suspect it was an arbitrary choice, considering that my great-grandfather was 'very displeased' that his two eldest daughters were courted by soldiers from the various Aldershot barracks (and eventually married them). His attitude may have led to this great-aunt selecting Islington for her marriage, particularly if the groom is the soldier in the 1911 census report I found.
MoVidger

Return to General research queries