Moderator Control Panel ]

Gypsy census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Gypsy census

Postby alilou03 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 am

Can anyone recommend a website which holds census information for gypsies or travellers please

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
alilou03

Re: Gypsy census

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:14 am

Not sure what you're after here. All the census sites include all the census records (subject to legibility etc), be it for settled people or travellers, tramps, boat families or whatever.

The rules of the census treated such people differently over the years - I think that in the earliest, enumerators were asked simply to estimate the numbers of itinerants on their patch, for instance.

Can you be a bit more specific what you're after?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sdup26 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:22 am

As Adrian says, a 'normal' census search for ancestors often finds them listed as 'travellers.' My lot certainly were. But If you want more general help in tracing gypsy and traveller families, it's worth trying http://www.rtfhs.org.uk (Romany and Traveller Family History Society).
sdup26

Postby alilou03 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you I will check that website out, just trying to find my husbands grandfather who may have been a traveller

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
alilou03

Postby Guy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Try http://romanygenes.com
Be aware gypsies may be called different things on census; they may be referred to as hawkers or dwellers in caravan. Neither expression necessarily proves they were gypsies, but they show how we have to open our minds when searching census.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby alilou03 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks guy
I have both hawker and showman on documentation so I am leaning towards gypsy however keeping an open mind

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
alilou03

Return to General research queries