Moderator Control Panel ]

Puritan baptism and burial

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby gen2 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:47 pm

My ancestor Increase Beale lived in the parish of St Boltoph without Aldgate, London. He married Ann Scot at Allhallows, London Wall on the 3 July 1733.
His Will & Testament dated 12 July 1769 was a simple affair leaving everything to his wife. In the Will he stated that he was a Wharfinger.
I have failed to find a baptism for Increase Beale nor any burial dated after the 12 July 1769.
The christian name suggests that it is a Puritan name and both St Boltoph without Aldgate and Allhallows may have had Puritan leanings.
I have hit a "brick wall" trying to find a baptism or burial for Increase Beale, has anyone got suggestions as to where to look?
Thanks for any help.

From Gen2
gen2

Postby brunes08 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:28 pm

I had a quick look on familysearch.org but couldn't find a baptism or burial for Increase Beale. There are details of his children though, which you probably already have - what lovely names some of them were given. However, I googled the Parish of St Botolph and a lot of sites came up which might be of help. However, I think your best move would be to contact the London Metropolitan Archives as (according to the National Archives site) they hold the registers of St Botolph 1466-1984 in P69/BOT1. That is of course if he was baptised and buried in that Parish. Fingers crossed! I haven't looked for All hallows though.
brunes08

Re: Puritan baptism and burial

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 am

Hello
I've not found his baptism or burial but the London lives site has a lot on him up to 1770.
Have you tried any freedom of the city of London records or guild records.Was there a guild for Wharfingers?
How about Beals in the parish before him ,did the family come from the area?
And of course you could plough through Wills looking for his father's Will.
There's a Richard Beale in the same parish who dies in 1776 with a wife Elizabeth ,perhaps a brother.
You could look through the parish manually on Ancestry which gives the original images.You never know it could just be hard to read.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby MoVidger » Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 pm

I have a direct ancestor named Increase, as well. Apparently, "Increase" is a literal translation of the Hebrew name "Yosëf" (Joseph).

Speaking of which, there is a baptism record for a "Joseph Beal" (May 1712) in St Botolph without Aldgate, London on FamilySearch, Parents are Joseph and Susana. But he might not have anything to do with your chap.

Your Increase Beale appears in four 18th-century records on Old Bailey Online. He appears to be a juror in several records, and a victim in the other (dated 1772). Another (unrelated) record I saw mentioned that he was a "churchwarden". But you may already know all this.
MoVidger

Postby gen2 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:15 pm

My thanks to ciderdrinker, Moviger and brunes08 for helping me to track down my ancestor Increase Beale. Sorry I haven't replied before.

All the suggestions are most helpful, will certainly follow up the records at LMA and follow up the other Beals', also never thought of looking at the Old Bailey Online. Thanks again for taking the trouble

Cheers GEN2
gen2

Return to General research queries