Moderator Control Panel ]

Just out of interest...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Just out of interest...

Postby pete25 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Has anyone else have in their family tree two daughters (sisters) with the same name?

My 3x great-aunt Elizabeth Whitehead (b.1846, Bradford, Manchester) had two daughters who shared the same name.

'Mary' Elizabeth Whitehead (b.1868 & d.1951)

'Mary' Ellen Whitehead (b.1883 & d.1960

There were two brothers (David & Maurice) and all four siblings were born out of wedlock.

It would be interesting to know any thoughts regarding this.
I've never known two brothers and two sister to share the same name unless one sibling died prior to the other siblings birth.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Re: Just out of interest...

Postby ermin79 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Not exactly the same but in my family we had an eldest girl Elizabeth Mary (family tradition) followed by another girl Mary (maternal grandmothers name). Both lived well into adulthood, but were known by nicknames (Lil and Polly).

Sent from my LG-K120 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:11 pm

They may not have been as duplicate as you think. Lots of people called Mary Ellen were referred to as "Mary Ellen" in real life. Virtually impossible to prove, of course!

Alternatively, Mary might have had some family significance but the two could be referred to in their family as Elizabeth and Ellen. Certainly, the issue of which name does someone go under, is a pig to solve (if possible at all). I've seen one chap referred to by my father as Uncle Stan, but by his descendants as William.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 pm

They are a confusing lot.

David whitehead when he married said his father was Maurice Whitehead and when his brother Maurice married he said his father was David.

When their mother Elizabeth died her daughter Mary Ellen Ruck (nee Whitehead said she was the widow of David Whitehead...no such thing lol

pete25

Postby brunes08 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Like AdrianB32, I have several instances of names in the family causing great confusion. A relative called his wife by her first name, Kathleen, but everyone else by her second name, Maud. In some other instances in the family, there is no logic - not based on the birth registration at all. For example, Betty was actually Dorothy Phyllis, Jim was really Arthur and May was really Elizabeth. It all adds to the 'fun' of tracing family albeit frustrating at times.
brunes08

Postby Mick Loney » Sun May 14, 2017 5:45 am

My late father-in-law was John William and he had a brother John Edward! They referred to them as 'big' and 'little' John. They were born in the 1920's.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby pete25 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I found finding two siblings in my family tree, with the same name, and all your replies very interesting.

Thank you

pete25

Postby jimbo50 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Unfortunately, I can't find it now, but I had saved a census image, East London area, where there were six daughters, all named Mary Anne, but each had a different third name.
jimbo50

Postby janmlawson » Sun May 14, 2017 4:46 pm

My grandmother had a living sister Mary and she was Mary Elsie but always known as Elsie. I don't think her son, my father, knew she was called Mary, too. We all found out when she as taken into hospital and they thought she was deaf or senile because she ignored them because she didn't know, when they called her Mary, that they were talking to her! On the other side of my family I had an great uncle Bill who was actually Albert. As someone said before, it all adds to the confusion/fun.
janmlawson

Postby pete25 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:13 pm

My mum and dad has ten children (5 boys and 5 girls).
Mum and dad gave their 3rd son and 3rd daughter a middle name and the rest of us just had one name...all very interesting.
I never did ask my parents why this was so.

pete25

Next

Return to General research queries