Moderator Control Panel ]

Halford siblings (St George in the East)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Halford siblings (St George in the East)

Postby MoVidger » Fri May 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Several siblings from my 19th-century Halford family are proving to be stubborn brickwalls, indeed. The family resided in St George in the East, London from c1824 onwards.

Parents: Thomas (b Isleworth) and Ann (b Boston, Lincolnshire). They had eleven children, but five of them remain elusive, after exhaustive research on my part.

William Halford, born 18 September 1820 in Isleworth (no census appearances)
Henry Halford, born 4 April 1831 (disappears after 1841 census)
Emma Halford, born 20 April 1838 (disappears after 1881 census)
William Halford, born 22 January 1844 (disappears after 1851 census)
John Frederick, born 1846 (disappears after 1861 census)

I presume that William (b 1820) died before 1844 as one of the later sons is named William, too. To further confuse matters, there is a grandson named Henry Jenkins Halford (born 21 January 1844), who resides with the family. I am unable to trace him after the 1861 census.

The Halford family appear together in the 1841 to 1861 census records.
1841: James Place, St George in the East. (Piece 696, Book 10, Folio 29, Page 12)
1851: Prospect Row, St George in the East. (Piece 1548, Folio 552, Page 17)
1861: Prospect Row, St George in the East. (Piece 280, Folio 38, Page 20)

The recently released 'City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Registers' on Ancestry have proved very helpful with my Halford family. In particular, there is a nicely detailed entry which includes parents Thomas & Ann, plus three adult children and their spouses. :D

However, none of the five children mentioned above appear to be part of this burial plot. So they've either died prior to 1865 (mother Ann's death) or perhaps settled elsewhere in the UK or abroad. Two of the older Halford sisters emigrated to Wisconsin, whilst two maternal uncles settled in Australia during the 1850s. They were Henry and Frederick Peatling from Boston, Lincs.

I've tried Ancestry, FMP, Family Search, and Deceased Online to trace the missing five siblings, but have found no likely marriage/death records, nor suitable census entries.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would be most grateful for any assistance!
MoVidger

Re: Halford siblings (St George in the East)

Postby sdup26 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I haven't had much luck so far, but I wonder about this 1882 entry from Ancestry's Assisted Passengers to Victoria, Australia:
Emma Halford aged 43 (b1839), single female, no occupation stated, assisted passenger to Melbourne, from London on the Ship Cetopaxi.
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Many thanks sdup26 for that Australian passenger record. (I've often wished those records contained more details!) One of the two Peatling uncles settled in Melbourne years earlier, so there's always the possibility this is my Emma. If it is, was she visiting Australia or planning on settling there?

I'll focus on Australian records this weekend, to see what happened to this Emma. I suppose she's "too old" to have married there. What I could do with is an Australian marriage record for her.
MoVidger

Postby sdup26 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Have you tried familysearch.org? Click Australia on the map of the world that comes up on the home page and you get the Australia Collection of records. Or www.trove.nla.gov.au (diaries, letters & archives) Apologies if you already know!
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks -- I will have a closer look at the FS Australian set of records, as you recommended.

I've just found Henry Halford (b 1831) in FMP's 'Britain, Merchant Seamen 1835-1857' records. The image in the BT113 series indicates his birth year as 4/4/1832 (one year off). Looks like he first went to sea (age 16) in 1848. I can't make out the street address name next to the "When unemployed, resides at..." portion of the record. The street doesn't ring a bell with me, with regards to the Halford family at the time.

There's also an 1854/1855 voyages entry for Henry in the BT116 series, but I'm struggling to make sense of the writing. All I can make out is London and Adelaide, plus the 27/7/1854 date. Perhaps forum members more familiar with merchant seamen records can help me decipher the text.

So this is a start with Henry and explains why he isn't jumping out at me in the 1851 census. I wonder where he ended up after 1855?

I forgot to mention that there doesn't appear to be any US passenger records for Mary Ann Halford (b 1822) and her second husband Charles Peatling (b 1828). They married in 1867 (London) and were already living in Wisconsin by 1870. Based on this omission (or records not indexed yet), it leads me to wonder if some of the 'missing' Halford siblings also went abroad, but their passenger records have yet to be indexed...??
MoVidger

Postby sdup26 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:09 pm

That address for Henry (seaman's records, "when unemployed, resides at...") looks like Canon StRd, as if the writer couldn't decide which it should be. So does this entry explain it? It's on FMP, London Docklands & East End Baptisms 1558-1933.
"William Halford b 22/1/1844, baptised 10/5/1857, parents Thomas Halford and Ann, St George in the East, parish Stepney, church address, Cannon St Road. Baptised in Mission Church, Calvert Street."
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks for deciphering the address on Henry's merchant seamen record. It's a bit odd that Henry would use Cannon Street for his address, considering it's the church's address. :?

Then again, when Ann Halford had several of the younger children baptised in 1857, it's odd that she used "11 Samuel Street" for the abode. In both the 1851 and 1861 census reports, the family resided at 2 Prospect Row. When I checked FMP, there are other families living at 11 Samuel Street in 1851 and 1861.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason I'm struggling to locate the 'missing' siblings (with the exception of Henry) is due to presently unindexed records?

Example: Charles Peatling, who was the 2nd husband (not to mention cousin) of sister Mary Ann Halford, appears to have been a merchant seamen, as well. There are two NSW Australia Unassisted Immigrant Passenger List records with his details (dated 1860 & 1866). He is listed as "AB" (able seaman). Yet I haven't located any merchant seamen records for him. Unless he joined after 1857. In which case I suppose there wouldn't be a record to find ??
MoVidger

Postby sdup26 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:59 am

Addresses can be a nightmare. I've got addresses for family members from baptism/birth records in census years, but they're not at those addresses on the actual census returns. My grandfather once told me that a family would 'do a moonlight flit' - i.e. in covering darkness, load everything onto a wagon, move somewhere down the road, or to an adjoining street, then move back again when the rent collectors or other officials had gone. Seems a bit drastic, but you never know!

As to Henry, maybe he couldn't be sure where the family might be living, but the church wasn't going anywhere, so that was a 'contact point' for him. It could have been a Mission for Seamen-type church. I can't see Charles in UK Merchant Navy Seamen Records 1835-1941 on familysearch.
sdup26

Return to General research queries