Moderator Control Panel ]

What happened to Samuel Nash?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

What happened to Samuel Nash?

Postby JaneyH » Fri May 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Samuel Nash married my 3x great grandmother - Mary Ann Bellamy - on 2 January 1843 at St. Nicholas Church, Gloucester. The marriage register entry is on Ancestry and shows that he was aged 25, a batchelor, and worked as a miner. His father is named as John Nash. Mary Ann was aged 19, a spinster, and her father was William Bellamy, a farmer.

Move forward just over three years and Mary Ann Nash, widow, full age, marries my 3x great-grandfather - Thomas Bowdler - in the same church on 22 April 1846. Her father is shown as William Bellamy, a farmer. Thomas is a widower of full age (I have all the details of his first marriage and the children from it). He gives his occupation as carpenter, and his father is Amos Bowdler.

Since the gap between Mary Ann's two marriages is only just over three years and they took place in the same church it seems unlikely that her second marriage was bigamous. However I can't trace any obvious death or burial for Samuel. I have no other details about him other than those on the 1843 marriage register entry. The fact that he gives his occupation as miner would most likely make him an iron-ore or coal miner in the Forest of Dean - many of my Bowdler ancestors in the Forest were miners.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome!
JaneyH

Re: What happened to Samuel Nash?

Postby jimbo50 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Hiya. there only appears to be a handful of possible deaths on Freebmd.org.
One of which is
Sep 1843 NASH Samuel Hereford Vol 26 Page 95
Seems quite near.
Jim
jimbo50

Postby JaneyH » Fri May 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi Jim, Thanks for that one. I've just cross-checked it on the GRO index and it says age at death was 84, so I don't think it's the right one.
JaneyH

Postby jimbo50 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:23 pm

There were two in Worcester as well. Jim
jimbo50

Postby jakval » Mon May 29, 2017 11:47 am

There's this..but age?

Burial at Newland 31st May 1843-Samuel Nash age 32-Residence Clearwell Meene
jakval

Postby Mick Loney » Mon May 29, 2017 1:02 pm

I think you have found the correct burial in Newland.

I found a Samuel Nash, in 1841 age 25 (rounded down so born 1811 to 1816) in Ruspidge, just south of Cinderford. His occupation is an Iron Ore Miner. Sadly he is not with his father, so cannot confirm absolutely that this is correct Samuel, but on balance of probabilities it seems to match.

Remember, as his wife was a lot younger than him on their marriage, it is highly likely he understated his age to make it seem more befitting. With this new birth range to hand, perhaps you could find his christening around the same area, which could confirm this is correct Samuel, and confirm that the burial you found nearby is actually him. Have you seen the actual image of the burial? There may be more clues to be had there.

Edit: Searching on family search for Samuel Nash, born England, 1811-1816, with father John, there were only half a dozen that popped up, but this one stands out, and I think is your man:

A Christening on 26 May 1811 in Newland. father John, mother Ann
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Mon May 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Many thanks, jakval and Mick - I think you've cracked this one. I'll update things properly once I've finished work. Better not open up my tree now or I'll never get my report written :lol:
JaneyH

Postby jakval » Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Have found the same baptism as Mick ....26 May 1811 Newland..but..mother Sarah
Residence Cleverend.

Info from www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/parish-records-search
jakval

Postby Mick Loney » Mon May 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Oops, my mistake! Found it on familysearch, and mother is Sarah NOT Mary. Having a senior moment ;). Sorry!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Tue May 30, 2017 9:27 pm

I've finally had a chance to look at this one properly. I agree that the burial and baptism fit well (Newland and Clearwell are about three miles apart, and Clearwell was within the parish of Newland at the time).

What is slightly puzzling, however, is finding a death register entry that fits with the burial. Having researched lots of Forest of Dean ancestors they rarely moved far - especially those who were miners. With a burial on 31 May 1843 it seems reasonable to assume that I should be looking for a death registered in the Apr-Jun quarter of that year. On the GRO website, looking for deaths of male (no first name) NASH, aged 32 +/- 10 years, there are just four records:

- John Nash, Gloucester Union, aged 27
- John Nash, Westminster, aged 34
- Samuel Nash, Abingdon Union, aged 35
- William Nash, St Giles in the Fields & St George Bloomsbury, aged 42

While the age is a bit out I'm inclined to lean towards the first one. In 1843 Newland fell within the Monmouth Registration District, but Gloucester would have been within striking distance. (Sorry to sound morbid, but I'm thinking about how far a coffin would realistically have been transported from place of death to place of burial in the 1840s.) I've also found a newspaper article from the Gloucester Journal dated 27 May 1843 which notes a suicide at the lunatic asylum of a man named John Nash. This story would appear to tie in with the first death record, although whether this John is 'my' Samuel is unclear.
JaneyH

Return to General research queries