Moderator Control Panel ]

A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Postby phil_j » Tue May 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Leonard Hudson front row, far right.jpg
Leonard Hudson front row, far right.jpg (596.31 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

This is a photo of my grandfather Leonard Hudson (Seaforth Highlanders) convalescing after he was wounded during the first world war. He is at the far right of the front row. I was told by my mother that it was taken at a girls' school at (or near) Brighton. Please could someone identify the location?
phil_j

Re: A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Postby jeffward » Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Almost certainly Roedene Girls school at Brighton. This was requisitioned for as use as an army hospital in 1914 . They have a website.
jeffward

A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Postby brunes08 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Before the above post from jeffward, I had looked at Roedean as a possibility. However, I am not entirely convinced. I found a photo taken in 1915 of an aircraft landing in the grounds of the school and surrounded by pupils. ( I just googled Roedean School history). The school buildings are of a pale coloured stone and do not look like the probable red brick in your photo. I also looked at other schools in the area, such as Lancing and Brighton College - again I wasn't convinced that they looked right. There are several other boarding schools in the area. It might be worth your while contacting the East Sussex Record Office at The Keep in Brighton to see if anyone can help.
brunes08

Postby phsvm » Thu May 11, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm afraid I can't tell you which school it is but my first impression from the photograph is that it was taken outside a building built about the turn of the century.

The school I attended (a privte girls' school, although not in Sussex so not yours!) and the history of which I have researched in great depth was built in 1903 and the shape of the windows, the brickwork, the shape of the bays, in fact everything about the windows in your photo shout at me that your building is of the same age.

When looking at possible schools to try and find out where this is I think you should see when the school was built. This is not necessarily going to be when the school was founded as many schools started off in large private houses and when they outgrew them they moved to purpose built properties.

Most private schools will now have an alumi officer or an archivist. If you find a school that you think may be the one in this photo I would write to the school's archivist and ask if they can help confirm if it is their building. In my experince most school archivists are delighted to hear from members of the public with a connection to their school.
phsvm

Postby phil_j » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I contacted the East Sussex Record Office (as suggested by brunes08), and they were extremely helpful. They even forwarded my photo to an expert who has been leading the First World War project in East Sussex, but nobody has been able to identify the building. I am therefore forced to conclude that the story passed down from my grandfather has got mixed up somewhere, and the school may not have been in Sussex after all.

I wonder if phsvm would be kind enough to let me know whether the school she has researched might be a possible candidate. Was it used as a military hospital? Is it in the south of England? Does it have a name that might have become confused with that of a Brighton school?

Many thanks,
Phil J
phil_j

Postby brunes08 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Another suggestion. Try thehighlandersmuseum.com. The museum has records for the Seaforth and Cameron Highlanders. If you go to the site, there if a Contact tab which then provides telephone numbers for enquiries or e-mail. They may be able to help you.
brunes08

Postby phil_j » Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks for your continued interest, but I've already tried the Highlanders' Museum. I've even become a Friend of the Museum, but they haven't been able to help me.
phil_j

Postby ianbee » Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Is this him in the WW1 Military Hospitals Admissions and Discharge Registers (from MH 106 at TNA)
L Hudson
service number 267544
rank Lance Corporal
year 1918
regiment Seaforth Highlanders

says "likely to" include medical establishments transferred from and transferred to; date of admission and transfer

The Scotsman, 16 May 1917
(list of men, I haven't seen it)
Hudson, 267544, L. ( Bradford )
ianbee

Postby phil_j » Wed May 17, 2017 8:33 am

That's him! Many thanks Ian - very helpful.
phil_j

Postby phsvm » Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 pm

The school I was researching was in Berkshire and definately not the one you're looking for.

Most private schools now have an official school archivist. I think many of them belong to the School Archivists' Group. You could try contacting them to see if they can help. I'm sure the archivisit at the school (if you can find out which it is) would be as keen to hear from you as you are to speak to them!

http://www.schoolarchivistsgroup.org/
phsvm

Next

Return to Photo identification