Moderator Control Panel ]

A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Re: A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Postby Jeanieallergy » Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Transcriptions of the WW1 Military Hospitals Admissions and Discharge Registers (MH 106) are available online on Forces War Records. The reference for your grandfather's entry is MH106/260 which contains First World War Representative Medical Records of Servicemen from 149th Field Ambulance.

Lance-Corporal L Hudson, 267544 6th (Morayshire) Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders
Shrapnel wounds knee (right) and hand (right).
Date of admission: 24/03/1918
Date of transfer to other hospital: 24/08/1918 (this may be a mis-transcription of the same date, 24th March)
Notes: Casualty Clearing Station. 500 units of Anti-Tetanus Serum administered.

I think the second date is incorrect - it is most unlikely that a man would stay at a Field Ambulance station for 5 months and much more likely that he was actually transferred on the same day.
I looked this up in the hope that it referred to his admission to the UK hospital and would provide the location but unfortunately no such luck.
Jeanieallergy

Re: A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Postby phil_j » Thu May 25, 2017 8:22 am

Thank you for your help Jeanie. Your post inspired me to embark upon yet another series of internet searches, and I surprised myself by solving the mystery. The website that led to the solution was geograph.org.uk. There is a list of former military hospitals, and they are accompanied by photographs of the buildings. After scrolling through a lot of pages, I came across a building with the same architecture as the one in my photograph (Ref. TR1557). It is now the Abbots Barton Hotel in Canterbury.

A search for 'Abbots Barton military hospital' took me to a Facebook page headed "Abbots Barton during World War 1", and there was the same photograph, with my grandfather looking out from the website of a Best Western hotel!

It looks as though my family has mixed up "Barton" with "Brighton". In mitigation, this was a family in Bradford, before the days of television (let alone the internet) and they would have known little about the south of England. Nevertheless, I apologise if anyone feels that their time has been wasted because of the mix-up.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to contribute.

Phil
phil_j

A 'Blighty' at Brighton

Postby brunes08 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Phil, there is no need to apologise for the time we take trying to help. If we didn't enjoy the challenge, we wouldn't do it. In trying to help others, we often find out something to help ourselves such as your link to the list of former military hospitals. I have several listed in service records for family in the First World War so this will be something else to look up. So glad you managed to solve your mystery.
brunes08

Previous

Return to Photo identification