Moderator Control Panel ]

Something A Tad Weird Here...

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Something A Tad Weird Here...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:15 pm

One would think it couldn't happen, but I seem to have a couple of deaths that were registered before the births; from the GRO Online Index:
Births:
ALLPRESS, JOSEPH [RAY] GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 245.
ALLPRESS, MARTHA [RAY] GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 245.
Deaths:
ALLPRESS, MARTHA (Age) 0 GRO Reference: 1848 D Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 158.
ALLPRESS, JOSEPH (Age) 0 GRO Reference: 1848 D Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 158.

They are the final two children of Robert Allpress & Ann Ray, married 08 Nov 1839, Huntingdon.

They don't appear in the 1851 census, but their other four children do.
There are both a Joseph and a Martha Allpress, aged 2, who appear in the 1851 census, but they are in two different families and have definite birth, marriage & death records (Allpress is one of my main family lines).

I think I may have to splurge out on the B & D certs of one of them to get to the bottom of this...
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: Something A Tad Weird Here...

Postby Guy » Tue May 09, 2017 4:11 pm

From the information you give it looks as if the couple had twins Joseph & Martha born December 1848 who died shortly after birth.
The deaths were possibly registered by the funeral director in the fourth quarter (December) in order to bury their bodies but the births were not registered until January 1949 (which is in the first quarter (March)) possibly by the parents.
You are possibly only talking about a few days difference in registering the events.

They would not be on the 1851 census as they were born and died betweein the 1841 and 1851 census

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Re: Something A Tad Weird Here...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:32 am

Guy: Many thanks for your reply. That's more or less the conclusion I'd come to. I have to admit to a real feeling of sadness when I came across their entries; what the parents felt hardly bears thinking about.
The thing is though, without the GRO Online Index Joseph & Martha would have remained unknown to me...

Phil
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Return to Genealogy chat