Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall - Richard Lindop1766?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick wall - Richard Lindop1766?

Postby Enoch99 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Brick wall time has arrived. Whilst researching my family history I can find NO information on a Richard Lindop born possibly around 1760 who wed Hannah Serjant(sergeant) at St Bartholomew's Church in Norton-in-the-Moors in1782.

By process of elimination of all the records I can find (ancestry, findmypast, familysearch etc) I have found a Richard Lindop born as a twin (Thomas) in 1766 to a Samuel Lindop a farmer from Barthomley nr Alsager, Cheshire which made him 16 when wed. Hannah's details unknown.

Can anyone help in tracking him down? Looking for birth/christening and death

Further info: On children's wedding details he is listed as carpenter, wheelwright, pottery worker
Attachments
parish baptism of thomas & richard 1766.jpg
parish baptism of thomas & richard 1766.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1342 times
R Lindop & H Sargeant.jpg
R Lindop & H Sargeant.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1342 times
Enoch99

Re: Brick wall - Richard Lindop1766?

Postby MayHam » Sat May 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Have you tried this site?
https://www.freereg.org.uk/

A person can be baptised at any age so don't let the date discount a potential candidate until you've seen the original record.
MayHam

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:13 pm

The Cheshire PRs are indexed on FamilySearch because the LDS did the indexes on behalf of Cheshire Record Office before they went up on FMP. In that area the only ones missing are the Astbury PRs but they are covered by the BTs, which do include Astbury.

You would need to unravel all the Lindops of the area to see what happened to the various Richards. Some clues come from the Barthomley PRs which, for a couple of decades in the latter 1700s, cover grandparents in baptisms and parents in burials. But I'm not sure if the LDS indexed those extra bits or if you need to look at the images on FMP.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Enoch99 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:41 pm

MayHam wrote:Have you tried this site?
https://www.freereg.org.uk/

A person can be baptised at any age so don't let the date discount a potential candidate until you've seen the original record.

Thanks for the tip but have already used it
Enoch99

Postby Enoch99 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:The Cheshire PRs are indexed on FamilySearch because the LDS did the indexes on behalf of Cheshire Record Office before they went up on FMP. In that area the only ones missing are the Astbury PRs but they are covered by the BTs, which do include Astbury.

You would need to unravel all the Lindops of the area to see what happened to the various Richards. Some clues come from the Barthomley PRs which, for a couple of decades in the latter 1700s, cover grandparents in baptisms and parents in burials. But I'm not sure if the LDS indexed those extra bits or if you need to look at the images on FMP.

Many thanks for your tips Have already started that process
Enoch99

Return to General research queries