Moderator Control Panel ]

The in-laws on my great aunt may have adopted a boy...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

The in-laws on my great aunt may have adopted a boy...

Postby pforkes » Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 pm

William Henry Chatband is the brother-in-law of my grand aunt. His birth was recorded in Q1 of 1885 in Dudley, Worcestershire. His death was recorded in Cannock, Staffordshire, on 18th October, 1955.

In Q4 1906 his marriage to Florence Ann Jones was recorded in Walsall, Staffordshire.

Florence Ann Jones was born on 25 March, 1892 in Pelsall, Staffordshire and she died on 20th October 1964 in Cannock, Staffordshire.

Her probate records show her as leaving all of her possessions to Sidney Jewkes Chatband (an author and journalist).

There is NO record of any Sidney Jewkes Chatband being born. However, there is a Sidney Jewkes born on 15th August 1910 (in Cannock, Staffordshire) whose mother’s maiden name was Fleming.

Now, I am putting two and two together and assuming that Sidney Jewkes was adopted by then Chatbands and that he took their last name - I mean, Jewkes is NOT that common a name and what are the odds that a Sidney Jewkes is born shortly after they get married, in the area where they lived and then the wife leaves all of her worldly possessions to him after he adopted they surname?

Can anyone help put some of the pieces into place on this puzzle?
pforkes

Re: The in-laws on my great aunt may have adopted a boy...

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:39 am

Certainly the 1939 Register shows that Sidney J Chatband, journalist, unmarried, was born 15 August 1910.

There is also a Sidney E Chadband born in the same year in the 1939 but he's a printer born in May so shouldn't detain us further.

I think that you need to double check that there is no other obvious fate for Sidney Jewkes - no other death or marriage - not sure how many candidates for that there might be. I didn't see an obvious candidate for either in a quick look at the 1911 but there were options including what is probably the young Chadband. But fundamentally, it does look very like SJ and SJC are the same.

When you mentioned the probate papers - have you seen the will or are you simply looking at the calendar? Because the calendar only gives the executor not the beneficiary. It is possible that the will might refer to the adoption but it depends on how interested you are in paying the cash for the will! Not sure that I'd bother, especially as we seem to have a good case and there must be a good chance that it only says son.

There are no formal adoption papers at this time so nothing likely to confirm it 100 percent. But I think that we have a high probability that's what happened - unless anyone else finds another bit of the puzzle.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:00 am

The bit that bugs me (so, yes, this is interesting) is - why was he adopted? I first thought that he was born to an unmarried mother, but have only just realised that wasn't the case. I think that you need to find (or not) both Sidneys *and* their families in the 1911. Not sure what it might tell you but who knows?

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby carobradford » Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 am

The 1911 census gives a bit more weight to the adoption theory. Sidney is with his older sister Evelyn May and widowed father William Henry (enumerated as "Jukes") as boarders in the home of Walter and Martha BOX at 55 Newhall Street, Cannock. This would fit with the death of a 32 year-old Phoebe A JEWKES in Cannock RD in Q4 1910, Phoebe probably being the Phoebe A FLEMING who married William Henry JEWKES in Dudley RD in Q2 1906.
carobradford

Postby peter kent » Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am

You really need to get some certificates.

From the indexes one can infer that Sidney JEWKES was the son of William Henry JEWKES and Phoebe Ann JEWKES formerly FLEMING.

Phoebe Ann JEWKES' death was registered in the same quarter as Sidney's birth.

William Henry JEWKES is in the 1911 census as a widower living as a boarder along with Sidney and his sister Evelyn.

Presumably Sidney was adopted because the father couldn't cope. What happened to Evelyn May JEWKES?
peter kent

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 am

And does the Box family of 1911 offer any link? Or are they simply renting their spare room?

Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries