Moderator Control Panel ]

Baguley/Bagley family

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Baguley/Bagley family

Postby Robin1 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:37 pm

HEllo, can anybody help me find my missing 2nd grandfather James BAguley born 12 Mar 1858 in Rusholme Manchester He is missing in 1881 census his wife is on her own at 20 Brittania St, Rowley Regis Hannah nee Simons born 27 Aug 1860 Moulton, Northamptonshire. James reappears married again in 1891 and in 1911 is separated and in Blackpool. I would also like to find the right death certificate to send for as well as his whereabouts in 1881. Any help gladly received thank you.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Robin1

Re: Baguley/Bagley family

Postby sdup26 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 pm

As you say, Hannah Bagley is living with her father Thomas in 1881, in Rowley Regis, with her brother Joseph, and an infant described as 'son' of Thomas. But Thomas was a widower, so was Hannah staying with her father to help care for her baby brother? Or was the child actually the son of Hannah and James? Whatever the circumstances, it looks as if, having gone home to her widowed father, Hannah stayed put. (On the 1939 Register, there's a Hannah Baggaley born 1861, living in Staffordshire and a widow. Yours?)
Like you, I can't find James in 1881. In 1891, he's in Monkton & Yarrow, Durham, with wife Fanny (born in Wendlebury, Staffs) and children. In 1901, he's still in Durham (Jarrow), and his three youngest children were born in Stockport, Cheshire. In 1911, he's in Blackpool, in what appears to be a lodging house, and described as 'married' while Fanny is in Reddish, Cheshire, with their youngest son, James Harold. James may not have been separated from Fanny, just working away from home, as Blackpool-Reddish is only about 40 miles. He certainly moved about, being born in Manchester, and with children born South Staffs, Durham and Cheshire. Maybe he was travelling when the 1881 census was taken, and missed enumeration.
If Hannah didn't die, did James re-marry to Fanny bigamously, or did they just live together? Have you got a marriage certificate for them?
sdup26

Postby Robin1 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Hello. Firstly thank you very much for replying and all those who have viewed. James Baguley did have a colourful past and was in Strangeways prison at one point before he married. Hannah Baguley does die in childbirth in 1885 and in 1881 the baby belongs to Hannah and James and is William Thomas Baguley b 1881. Any ideas about possible death Certificates ?? all complicated because of his movements around the country and different spellings of surname. I agree his last place of abode is Blackpool and he lists how many children who lived and died which I have now managed to add up and account by using the GRO research which now states mothers maiden name and therefore very useful.
Robin1

Postby sdup26 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:04 pm

I think Hannah's death entry is Mar Q 1886, Dudley, 6c 1 (age 27 at death so born about 1859)

As to James, what about this one, bearing in mind he was born in Manchester? From the Withington Workhouse death register:
21/3/1926 James Bagley aged 67 (b1859). Cause of death not recorded. Buried Southern Cemetery.

If you think it's worth risking a tenner, the GRO entry is James Bagley, Mar Q 1926, Manchester South, 8d 101
sdup26

Return to General research queries