Moderator Control Panel ]

finding siblings

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

finding siblings

Postby ronariker » Sun May 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Is there any way that I can find siblings for some of my relatives? My great-grandfather's birth certificate says that there are 3 boys living. I assume that one of those 3 is my great-grandfather. However, I cannot find a birth certificate or baptismal certificate for the oldest brother. Irritatingly, they were all born after the 1851 census and by 1861, at least 2 of the boys were in the Kirkcaldy workhouse and the youngest was being looked after by another family in Auchtermuchty, where the family was born. Both parents were dead by this point, the father having died before the birth of the youngest son.

I also know that another relative had 4 illegitimate children, but I have only found 2 of them. One I found by accident when looking for someone else, and that led me to find the oldest of his siblings, but of the middle two I know nothing and cannot find out anything about them either. The mother was notorious, and was convicted of murdering the oldest child and the youngest was born (eerily, on the same birth date as the murdered child) in prison.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am, in case you didn't already guess, in Scotland.
ronariker

Re: finding siblings

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi Ronariker,
you need to give us some names and dates so we can try and help.
Grace :shock:
Amazinggrace

Postby ronariker » Sun May 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Ah, okay. My great-grandfather was James Walker and he was born in Auchtermuchty in July 1855. His parents were John Walker and Janet Bullions. His younger brother Leonard was born in 1857. John and Janet were married in Moneydie, Perthshire in 1852. John died in 1857.

I found both James and Leonard in the 1861 census. James (5) is listed underneath an Alexander Walker, who is 7. Slightly higher up the list is another child called Walker, who is Andrew. He is 8. His age is correct, but he was born in Cupar. I cannot find a record of his birth at all. The other boys were born in Auchtermuchty. I don't know if Andrew is their brother or not. There is not another Walker birth registered in Auchtermuchty around the correct time that I have found.

As for the other query, Williamina Goodall, born 1857, gave birth to Jessie Goodall or Gaul (her father's name is mentioned) in 1884 and she was murdered in 1887. James Goodall was born in Feb 1888 in HMP Aberdeen. Williamina died in 1896. It was quite a scandal and hit various newspapers all over Scotland and there is a very in-depth report in one of the newspaper archives, which was fascinating to read.

I just wondered if there was any other way to find the other siblings' names. Thanks.
ronariker

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun May 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi,one thing to think of is that Cupar is next door to Auchtermuchty.If my memory serves me well since I lived at Pitreavie, about 8 miles apart.
There appears to be a Alexander Bullion Walker listed on FS.Could that be him with his mums maiden name as a middle name?
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Postby ronariker » Mon May 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Cupar and Auchtermuchty are quite close. Alexander is definitely one of the siblings, but it is the oldest one (possibly Andrew) that I am finding difficult to track down. I was really just wondering if there was some way to find out about potential siblings? this family are particularly difficult because they boys were all born after the 1851 census and the parents were both dead before the 1861 census. Thanks for the help.
ronariker

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon May 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi ronariker,
you have John and Janet married moneydie, Perthshire.
there is a record on FS of the marriage of John Walker and Janet Bullions on the 27th March 1852 in
Auchtermuchty,Fife.
Amazinggrace

Postby ronariker » Tue May 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Yes, John and Janet appear to have been married in both places - I am not entirely sure if they are the same people, or different ones. Certainly, I haven't turned up any others by the same name. I am going with Moneydie because of something another relative said to me, but they could be wrong.
ronariker

Postby Sylcec » Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 pm

One of them probably came from Moneydie and the other from Auchtermuchty so the marriage (contract, banns, etc) would have been recorded in both places. Have you examined both original records closely to get the details of what is recorded?

The logical conclusion (though logic doesn't usually have much place in family history) is that Janet Bullion was from Moneydie and John Walker from Auchtermuchty as that is where they seem to have settled and had children. But was there a child before Alexander who was born at Moneydie? Not sure about Scotland, but in England it was common for a woman to go back to her mother's house to have her first baby and be cared for by family.
Sylcec

Postby ronariker » Fri May 12, 2017 4:43 pm

The wording is exactly the same on both, bar the place names. They both resided in both parishes, apparently.

I know there was a son born before Alexander, and I suspect this might be Andrew, but I cannot find a record of any child called that, or any other child of the right age and sex born anywhere in the area at all. Thanks for the help, I shall go on looking.
ronariker

Postby Catherine Macleod » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi Ronariker

Your query Williamina Goodall, I too am trying to find the siblings.
C
Catherine Macleod

Next

Return to General research queries