Moderator Control Panel ]

It only goes to show...

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

It only goes to show...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:13 am

...that even official records can be inconsistent.

While idly looking for the death of William Allpress Squires (born 1868), FreeBMD has a likely death for a William A Squires in Huntingdonshire (where I could expect to find him), but with an age at death shown on the register page of only 65.

But I decided to traipse through the GRO Online Index from 1911 (his last definite appearance) and lo and behold, there he was in 1944, same reference - William Allpress Squires 1944 Q4 HUNTINGDON Volume 03B Page 313 but with an age at death of 76.

Now that's what I call both a good result and a transcription error!
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: It only goes to show...

Postby JaneyH » Sun May 07, 2017 10:20 am

Aside from the transcription errors, I'm interested to find someone else researching Squire(s) ancestors in the Huntingdon area - I am too! Drop me a PM if you'd like to compare notes.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby phsvm » Sat May 20, 2017 10:29 am

So Cachalot 6972 have you registered the error with FreeBMD for them to correct?

It's all very well talking about errors we find (and I'm sure we all do at times) but how many bother to actually help towards correcting them? Similarly, how many people amend records on Free BMD when they have a certificate and can add the details from the certificate onto the site for the benefit of others?

We shouldn't forget that FreeBMD is run by volunteers to whom we should all be extremely grateful. It's the "big boys" whose transcription errors are very often simply through lack of care who irritae me (especially as we are paying to see those errors). Only recently did I find someone listed as living in a village which was described as being in "Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire"!
phsvm

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:53 am

So Cachalot 6972 have you registered the error with FreeBMD for them to correct?

Yes, I did; I also left a postem.

It's all very well talking about errors we find (and I'm sure we all do at times) but how many bother to actually help towards correcting them? Similarly, how many people amend records on Free BMD when they have a certificate and can add the details from the certificate onto the site for the benefit of others?

I'm one of the people who does flag up errors. I've long since lost count of the corrections sent in to, for example, the 1939 Register. However, whether the correction will be accepted is a moot point. They state they will only accept corrections from entries which "...are aligned to the GRO index, not to other sources." This may or may not mean the printed GRO index. To be ruthlessly fair here, I have even found an entry in the GRO online index which is incorrect and flagged that up.

We shouldn't forget that FreeBMD is run by volunteers to whom we should all be extremely grateful. It's the "big boys" whose transcription errors are very often simply through lack of care who irritae me (especially as we are paying to see those errors). Only recently did I find someone listed as living in a village which was described as being in "Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire"!

I'm very aware that FreeBMD is run by volunteers, and my original post was in no way meant as a criticism, but a light-hearted post which shows, (a) that you should always check another source if you don't get the result you expect, and (b) alert anyone reading it that the GRO online Index exists - which I only found out about a month or so ago from reading someone else's post.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

It only goes to show...

Postby pete25 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Some of my Radcliffe, Manchester
Ancestors are indexed on Ancestry as being born in Radcliffe, Lancashire, Sussex ha ha now I am criticizing!
Also, if I hadn't of been informed a lot of Whitehead's were recorded as 'Whitchead' I would never of found my Whitehead's...ancestry is getting worse.

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Return to Genealogy chat