Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Owen and Second Wife

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Owen and Second Wife

Postby Tony67 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:56 pm

I am seeking help in finding my great great grandfather Thomas Owen and his second wife.

Thomas was born in Birmingham and baptised on 19 May 1826. Although there is no date of birth with the baptism record, censuses support the belief that he was also born in that year.

Up until 1877 Thomas led a perfectly traceable life. He married Harriet Robson in 1851 and the couple had 5 children, one of whom died at an early age. The other four children can be traced up to the 1871 census and three beyond that.

However, Harriet died in 1874 and Thomas then married Alice Parsons on 1 September 1877. After that date Thomas, Alice and the youngest child from his first marriage (Annie Esther, born 11 February 1861) have eluded my searches until Thomas’s death on 10 May 1900, when his death certificate confirms that fact. His death is reported by one of his sons but of Alice there is no mention. Thomas, Alice and Annie Esther are all ‘missing’ from the 1881 and 1891 censuses and I have been unable to trace Alice or Annie Esther beyond those dates. The only possibility is a Thomas Owen in the 1881 census shown as an employee at the Workhouse whereas on all other documents he is a silver caster. One Annie Owen dies in 1893 but she is not Thomas’s daughter.

Alice, is shown as living in George Street West at the time of her marriage, her occupation is shown as tailoress and her father is John Parsons. So far I have been unable to trace any information on those names in the 1871 census or earlier. However, the 1871 census does show two tailoresses living in George Street West with the name of Parsons, Ellen and Sarah. Ellen is Sarah’s mother and Ellen can be traced in subsequent censuses but Sarah (born 1849 in Bristol) is proving more difficult. To add further doubt, the father is not John but Henry, whose death in 1871 is documented. The Parsons, Sarah included, can be traced back in earlier censuses but they never seem to include an Alice amongst the family members, so are they just a tempting red herring? Any help in tracing Thomas, Alice or Annie Esther would be very welcome.

Thank you.
Tony67

Re: Thomas Owen and Second Wife

Postby sdup26 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am

I don't know if this is relevant, but there's a christening record for an Alice Parsons, May 1860, at St Peter's, Coventry, parents John and Ann Parsons. They're on the 1871 census, Canterbury Street, Holy Trinity, Coventry. John Parsons 34, a watch finisher, wife Ann 35, son Matthew John 3, and daughter Alice 10, all born Coventry.

Thomas Owen married Alice Parsons in 1877, and if she was the Alice above, she'd be about 17/18, which isn't impossible. But whether or not she's the same person, as childbirth was a risk back then, have you ruled out a death for Thomas's Alice, from 1877? And a marriage for Annie Esther?
sdup26

Re: Thomas Owen and Second Wife

Postby Tony67 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 pm

Thank you for your suggestion. I have looked into possible deaths for Alice and a marriage for Annie E- and even a later marriage for Alice but without success so far.
Tony67

Return to General research queries