Moderator Control Panel ]

My 4 x g grandparents

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

My 4 x g grandparents

Postby philippereynolds » Thu May 04, 2017 6:32 pm

I have researched this to death and would appreciate a fresh perspective.

My 4 x g grand father, John Reynolds, was baptised on the 14th May 1775 in Southfleet, Kent. My research then suggests that at some point before 1794 he marries a Mary (their first child, Sarah, is born about March of 1794)

Mary was born about 1771 in Limehouse, London. She is listed on the 1861 census at the age of 90 living with my 3 x g grand father, also John Reynolds.

My problem is that I can only find one decent candidate for a marriage record. This happens in Mersham, Kent in 1793. Southfleet is 40 miles from Mersham, which I don't think is such a stretch for John to travel. But Mary's birth place of Limehouse puts me off.

Thanks for any help

Philippe
philippereynolds

Re: My 4 x g grandparents

Postby ianbee » Thu May 04, 2017 8:27 pm

There seem to be baptisms in Mersham to John + Mary Reynolds following that marriage, albeit with a possible gap from after the first one in 1793 to 1802. The bride, Mary Tickner, might perhaps have been the one baptized in nearby Smeeth in 1768, and John may still be living in Mersham even in 1841 and later. So I would rule that one out.

There's also a marriage in Southfleet in 1802 of John Reynolds + Jane Cambell. Don't know what happened to them, but are you sure that your John is the one baptized in Southfleet in 1775?

A burial in Southfleet, 13 August 1826, John Reynolds, age 64. Could that be your man?
John and Mary don't seem to have had a daughter Mary baptized in Southfleet, but there is a burial there in October 1810 of a Mary Lacy Reynolds, age 19. Could she be connected perhaps?

I think you may have to consider the possibility that like Mary, John was not originally from Southfleet. Whatever, I would certainly widen the search for a marriage.
Ian
ianbee

Postby philippereynolds » Thu May 04, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for all that Ianbee.

I will definitely discount the Mersham John & Mary.

The Mary Lacy Reynolds burial you mentioned is interesting. I have found her baptism in Northfleet to a John and Mary Reynolds. It could be the same family Southfleet and Northfleet are very close.

I have searched all the London parishes for a John Reynolds marrying a Mary without luck.

As you say I may have to rethink the Southfleet baptism of my John Reynolds and start looking for alternatives

Thanks for the help
philippereynolds

Postby ianbee » Sat May 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi
Yes, it looks possible that Mary Lacey Reynolds was the first daughter of John and Mary. Pushing that missing marriage of theirs back a bit further.
You would hope that the Lacey name would be significant, maybe John Reynolds married a Mary Lacey. But nothing!
One problem might be that if John and Mary married in Northfleet the relevant marriage register appears to be missing. It looks like it was one of those combined marriages and banns affairs, so we can't even look at a banns register either.

I've come up with a possibility, something to investigate maybe. Not saying it is the one, and it does not really tie up with the places of birth that Mary Reynolds gives in the 1851 and 1861 census.
Anyway, there's a marriage along the River Thames at St Alphege Greenwich, 30 August 1790 -
John Renolds + Mary Adsley

Can't say for sure, but subsequently in the immediate area there doesn't really seem to be any likely looking baptisms of children to that couple?
I think she may be the Mary Adsley baptized in January 1771 at Greenwich. Parents Robert + Ann. If so, a bit of toing and froing here. The only marriage I've found that might be the parents was at Strood in Kent in 1763, Robert Addsley + Ann Ward
There's a baptism of a daughter Ann to a Robert and Ann Adsley in Woolwich in 1768, and then after Mary in Greenwich - if it is the same couple? - some later baptisms in Chatham perhaps.

Now that daughter Ann, could be the one in this marriage licence record.
Name: William Loft
Date: 28 Jan 1786
Diocese of Rochester, Kent, England
Marital Status Single
Spouse's Name: Ann Adsley
Spouse's Age: 17
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Father's Name: Robert Adsley

The marriage of William Loft and Ann Adsley was actually at Southfleet, 27 February 1786, and was witnessed by Robert Adsley. Confirms it was by licence, and that Ann was a minor.
So her age and father fit the Ann baptized in Woolwich. Is it possible that her sister Mary went back to Greenwich for some reason to marry your John Reynolds?
If so, why did she later say she was born the other side of the Thames? Although obviously the place where someone is baptized is not always the place where they were born. Her age is a good match. And John and Mary Reynolds seem to have had a son Robert baptized in Southfleet, which could be a hopeful sign.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat May 06, 2017 10:20 pm

That lady, Elizabeth Wall, that Mary Reynolds was a servant to in Dartford in 1841 and 1851, died in 1859 -
Dec 1859 Dartford 2a 153
Wall, Elizabeth
age 78

She left a will, probate calendar 1859 says
Elizabeth Wall, late of Dartford, spinster, died 29 September 1859
Will proved at the Principal Registry, 26 October
Executors were two Reverend gentlemen called Allen, both of Hartley.

Wonder if she mentioned Mary?
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat May 06, 2017 11:28 pm

ianbee wrote:The marriage of William Loft and Ann Adsley was actually at Southfleet, 27 February 1786

Followed by baptisms there? Starting with Ann Loft (1788) through to James (1799)

A burial at Southfleet, 29 October 1801
Anne Loft, age 33

William Loft was 39 in 1786 on that marriage allegation (according to the transcription)
A burial at Southfleet, 29 September 1799
William Loft, age 52

Leaving a number of orphaned Loft children?
ianbee

Postby philippereynolds » Wed May 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Ian

I am in awe of the amount of information you managed to find in such a short space of time! I have spent ages researching and didn't come close to that level of discovery.

Everything you have suggested will certainly give me plenty to research and see if it all ties in with my Reynolds line. I really can't thank you enough. You have been so helpful!

Best wishes

Philippe
philippereynolds

Return to General research queries