Moderator Control Panel ]

My Grandfather's burial location

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

My Grandfather's burial location

Postby richardrcj1981 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Everyone,

Could someone please help?

I am trying to find out where my Grandfather was buried.

His name was William John Jones (born in 1912/3), and he died in Watersfield near Coldwaltham in West Sussex on the 21st July 1937 aged 25.

His wife and new born child actually lived in Carbis Bay near St Ives Cornwall, but William worked in a hotel in Watersfield.

I have looked at records for a lot cemeteries in Cornwall and I don't think his body went back to Cornwall after he died.

I have also searched a couple of cemeteries by Watersfield but I can't find his burial.

Could you please help to find his burial.

I don't think he will be buried in a churchyard because he committed suicide.

many thanks

Richard
richardrcj1981

Re: My Grandfather's burial location

Postby phsvm » Thu May 04, 2017 10:09 am

I know you stated he committed suicide so may not be buried in a church yard and certainly the view of the church to suicide was very different then to what it is now but have you thought of contacting the parish church in Coldwaltham? Watersfield appears to be part of the parish so presumably wouldn't have had its own priest/church.

I don't know, but if he wasn't repatriated to Cornwall something must have happened to the body in West Sussex. If the family requested burial or just a service then parish records may record this. Alternatively if not the church then maybe the parish council.
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 am

I don't know the area at all but by this time, a major portion of burials take place in cemeteries run by local councils (usually). What I would suggest is that you use something like GENUKI to locate cemeteries in the area, find the corresponding councils and look at their sites for their Bereavement services (or similar names). Then you can contact them explaining what you want. While some councils have their records online in Deceased Online, others don't.

The above is a basic method - hopefully someone with local knowledge can short circuit a bit of research for you.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Just a thought. How certain are you that William was buried? With his wife far away in Cornwall, and under the circumstances of his death, is it possible that he was cremated?
brunes08

Postby phsvm » Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Whilst Brunes08's suggestion of cremation shouldn't be discounted it's worth remembering that in the 1930s only about 5% of deaths resulted in cremation. It wasn't until the 1950s that its popularity increased.
phsvm

Postby richardrcj1981 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for your help everyone,

Unfortunately, he died when when my Father was less than a year old and our family no almost nothing about him. His wife remarried 5 years later. Unfortunately his wife my Grandmother died the year I was born. I would have loved to ask my Father about it but he died 9 years ago.

I am eagerly waiting for the next census to come out so we can track him down. I know the name Jones is typically Welsh, but from my Ancestry DNA results I think he is from Wales.

I forgot about the parish council, I will try and speak to them about him.

I will check the local churches.
I've checked some grave sites online but I haven't found him. That's not surprising as I don't think his wife would have been able to afford a gravestone.

I agree, I don't think he was cremated because at that time very few people were cremated, and because the village is quite far from a crematorium.
richardrcj1981

Postby shepherd-broughton » Sat May 06, 2017 6:17 am

Hi. I was searching for a couple years for my g grandparents graves. Both committed suicide in 1937. I got both of those coroner's reports thinking may tell me. I emailed every church in Birmingham asking. One positive reply for g grandfather. He was buried in a common grave . Eventually I found my g grandmother in fact she was in the same cemetery same line as my g grandfather.. I went to our library of Birmingham looked up each cemetery for the year month got then finally I had them. I called the cemetery and they gave me the grave number.
They wasn't in a church yard I guess as they committed suicide but both was in a cemetery. Good luck. Hope you find them

Sent from my SM-G955F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
shepherd-broughton

Postby stefano » Sat May 06, 2017 8:17 am

I had an ancestor who committed suicide in the 1960's after he lost his wife good few years earlier. He was buried in his local cemetery. So there is hope your find your ancestor. His name was Walter Leslie Woods.
Sent from my PLK-L01 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
stefano

Postby richardrcj1981 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi Everyone

Thanks again for your help.

I have found his grave.

He was actually buried at the local parish church, in their churchyard (St Giles Church, Coldwaltham, West Sussex).

There was an inquest the day after he died, and he was buried a day after that.

As his wife and new born son lived by St Ives Cornwall, it was unlikely they even knew about his death before he was buried.

Quite sad really.

I am planning a trip there later this year so hopefully I can find out where in the churchyard he was buried. I don't think there is a stone, but I am in contact with the church about it.

Thanks again

Richard
richardrcj1981

Postby phsvm » Wed May 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Thank you Richard for taking the time to update us on your findings.

It's always encouraging when forum members are told of the outcome of searches.
phsvm

Return to General research queries