Moderator Control Panel ]

No more WDYTYA Live ?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

No more WDYTYA Live ?

Postby AntonyM » Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm

http://www.sog.org.uk/news/article/who- ... t-to-cease

A great shame - unless someone else steps in with an alternative event ?
AntonyM

Re: No more WDYTYA Live ?

Postby Guy » Thu May 04, 2017 7:32 am

WDYTYA Live was a blessing and a curse for the family history community from the start.
Yes it was a big name brand leader event but it drained resources from the other smaller events up and down the country.
The costs involved for the exhibitors (both in time and money) rarely covered the returns and prevented the exhibitors standing at other family history shows.

There has been a big drop off in attendance, both in exhibitors and public to family history shows in the last few years partly due to WDYTYA Live but also partly due to the rise of internet genealogy sites and the widely held belief that everything is available online.

Having written that I don't expect the numbers attending local fairs to suddenly rise, I fear the damage has been done and a lot of work needs to be done to get attendances to rise again.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby meekhcs » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 am

No doubt WDYTYA Live cost a lot of money to run. In the Family History World it would take the likes of Ancestry, FMP or similar to step into the breach.

I have only attended one live show, several years ago at Olympia, and I did manage to find some answers, but overall it wasn't for me.

I agree with Guy re online genealogy sites. Most of us subscribe to at least one but they are becoming increasingly expensive and now in an effort to continually "add data" they contain too much index only and repetitive info,some of which is freely available on other sites.

In todays world time and money are the enemy for the Family Historian and whilst I agree with the conclusions Guy drew I would also add that Forums such as this, where knowledgeable Hisorians freely share their time and knowledge, have become the modern Family Historians new best friend.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:22 am

I am reminded of a conversation I overheard at a local FH show, where a second hand bookseller said that the Internet could burn in hell as far as he was concerned because it had destroyed the businesses of him and others like him. I was not inclined to agree since very recently I had purchased through the Internet, the memoirs of a relative of the in-laws of an American cousin. It was something of an impulse buy because it told me about the American Civil War. Heard about it, searched for it, found probably the only copy on sale in the UK and bought it. What would have been the likelihood that this guy would have come up with a copy?

In a similar fashion, what is the purpose of the local FH show in the world of the Internet? Expertise I would say but too many stalls seem to major on selling second hand Gibson Guides. I do think that it would be disastrous to lose local shows - local societies even - but I am yet to be convinced that there is a viable method of marketing it all. Significantly, the one occasion that I went to WDYTYA Live, my best value stall visit was to the FIBIS stand where I could learn what sources might be available for my problem - expertise was what it was all about.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Thu May 04, 2017 5:06 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:In a similar fashion, what is the purpose of the local FH show in the world of the Internet? Expertise I would say but too many stalls seem to major on selling second hand Gibson Guides. I do think that it would be disastrous to lose local shows - local societies even - but I am yet to be convinced that there is a viable method of marketing it all. Significantly, the one occasion that I went to WDYTYA Live, my best value stall visit was to the FIBIS stand where I could learn what sources might be available for my problem - expertise was what it was all about.

Interesting but did you then take out a subscription for FIBIS (Families In British India Society), after all that is the reason they attend the fairs to promote their society.

For a fair to be successful it has to do two things.
1 Provide the public with the information or the books/data they require.
2 Provide the stallholders with a reward for standing.
That reward could be taking out a subscription or in the form of a sale of goods.

People on both sides sometimes forget for a fair to succeed it has to be a win win situation.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Not a subscription, no, but I did buy the book.

Yes, you are absolutely right that it has to be beneficial to both parties. I have often struggled to understand what some of the more distant FHSs get from attending these big shows. The further from home they go, the fewer people they will meet who have an interest in their home area. And they're very quickly into traveling and overnight expenses.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby paulr1949 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm not totally surprised. I went this year, first time to the NEC, and I thought that it wasn't very crowded. I was there a few minutes before opening time and there was only a 5 minute queue to get in, I remember it being right round to the tube station at Olympia. I found some interesting things, found an illegitimate daughter of my GG Grandmother (at the Scotlands people stand), found out how to do something in Family Historian and only had to wait 5 minutes to get on a Find my past computer.
What I also was surprised about was that there were no comments about the exhibition on this forum.

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 20, 2017 10:51 am

I went to the Live Show 3 times when it was at Olympia. I haven't been to the NEC shows mainly because the show changed from Friday - Sunday to Thursday - Saturday. The last couple of shows have also been in term time and I can't take time off during the week and getting there on a Saturday morning would mean a really early start.

This is just how it affected me. I'm not sure why other people stopped attending.
ksouthall

Return to Genealogy chat