Moderator Control Panel ]

The will of Samuel Bane (1742- 1825) help in translation

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

The will of Samuel Bane (1742- 1825) help in translation

Postby puzzledtoday » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 pm

I found Samuel's will on Ancestry. Both the language and writing are archaic. I have had a go at translating it but a few words elude me. I wonder if someone with more knowledge could help please?
I have put question marks where I am uncertain of, or just can't read a word. Thank You
Attachments
sam bane will 1 resized - Copy for forum.jpg
sam bane will 1 resized - Copy for forum.jpg (150.55 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
sam bane will 2 for forum.jpg
sam bane will 2 for forum.jpg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
screenshot samuel bane.jpg
screenshot samuel bane.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
puzzledtoday

Re: The will of Samuel Bane (1742- 1825) help in translation

Postby Sylcec » Wed May 03, 2017 1:28 pm

I've tried to go through this without printing it out, but the typescript is a bit small. Anyway, some words ...
1 sound disposing mind memory ...
2 controversy I think, but written controversie
3. yes, thereunto
4 ffoskett and ?? (don't know)
5 the house in St George in the East ....... upon Lease
6 plate monies and debts (certainly looks like that, but seems a bit odd; maybe he means debtors, i.e. that Dinah will benefit from debts owed to him)

Some of the others I agree with you on, e.g. premises. I don't agree with 'throughout' towards the end, but can't yet get the correct word - maybe someone else will.

In the grant at the end, the abbreviation Surrg stands for Surrogate
Sylcec

Postby puzzledtoday » Thu May 04, 2017 10:11 am

Thank you very much Sylcec. I would never have got surrogate and was thinking of "on Lease" as words relating to Middlesex, rather than what went before, so was way off beam there! I had thought "controversy" but was deflected by no "y" at the end and had not considered different spelling, so your reply has been really helpful and enlightening.

I am puzzled by the phrase "continued from her husband".

If it is of interest Dinah and Thomas Ames do not appear to have had children but John Bane, a bricklayer, married a Mary Heyes and had a daughter, Mary Ann Elizabeth, born in 1825, thus "lawfully begotten". Mary Ann married a cooper, John Morris, who predeceased her. She left a will, in 1881, with estate worth £552.51. Her properties etc were to be sold and the proceeds divided between her children. I assume her assets were, at least in part, those she had inherited via Dinah Bane/Ames, who, widowed, was with the family in 1861 and died in 1862.

It is intriguing that John Bane was left out of his father's will but I don't suppose I shall ever find out why!
puzzledtoday

Postby Sylcec » Fri May 05, 2017 12:22 am

I agree with you, also thought the phrase "continued from her husband" a bit odd.
However, always bear in mind that what you are reading is not the original will made by the testator but the official registered copy.

Can I also recommend that you access the IR26 - Estate Duty (Death Duty) record. For the period and place of interest these have not been digitised which means that you either have to go to Kew or identify the correct microfilm which can be ordered and viewed using an LDS Family History Centre. For more information about these records see: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/death-duties-1796-1903/
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 06, 2017 6:05 pm

puzzledtoday wrote:It is intriguing that John Bane was left out of his father's will but I don't suppose I shall ever find out why!

It is possible Samuel Bane had already transferred some of his assets to his son John during his own lifetime. If that were the case, he may not have felt the need to provide for him further in his will. Alternatively, father and son could have fallen out. It is possible there could be newspaper reports that could shed some light on it. You never know your luck.
ksouthall

Postby puzzledtoday » Sat May 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you Sylvia for that information. It sounds well worth following up and I hope to visit TNA later in the year.

Thank you K.Southall for your suggestion too, another idea worth following up
puzzledtoday

Return to General research queries