Moderator Control Panel ]

Help John and Eliza Price

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help John and Eliza Price

Postby kiwi1948 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:48 pm

According to his birth certificate, my great grandfather Isaac George Price, was born at 13 Church Street, Paddington MDX on 5 Jan 1844. It is unknown if he had any siblings.
His parents are listed as John and Eliza (nee Cooke), with John's occupation shown as mariner.
Isaac emigrated to New Zealand in 1863 and his life after this time is well documented.
Information on John and Eliza is extremely thin. I cannot find any evidence of a marriage nor any
plausible entry in a UK census.
My grandfather told me that John was born in Wales and eventually became a Master Mariner.
The Mercantile Navy List of 1880 records a John Price achieving an o.c certificate at Liverpool
in 1860 (cert no. 877), but since I don't actually know where or when John was born, I cannot
determine if the listing relates to him.
Any information on the family would be much appreciated, particularly siblings of Isaac
kiwi1948

Re: Help John and Eliza Price

Postby Sylcec » Mon May 01, 2017 4:31 am

I have not yet found a marriage for John and Eliza Price, nor any other children born/baptised to these parents.
However, consider the possibility that John dies while Isaac is an infant ....
1848, June qtr, Westminster, v.1, p.412
Charles Russell ROCKLEY to Eliza PRICE

1851 census HO107/1570 fol.106 p.40
Charles ROCKLEY, head, 25, Clerk French goods, b. Christchurch, Surrey
Eliza ROCKLEY, wife, 30, b. Oxford
George PRICE, son, 7, scholar, b. Paddington, Middlesex

In 1861 they are at 9 Tenison Street, Lambeth. There are no additional children.

The marriage took place on 6 May 1848 at St Margaret, Westminster and, yes, Eliza Price was a widow. Her deceased father's name was William Tucker. Sorry - on review, I see that your Isaac George's mother's maiden name was Cooke.
On 22 May 1877 Charles Russell Rockley marries again, so Eliza has probably died in the interim.
Sylcec

Re: Help John and Eliza Price

Postby kiwi1948 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:20 am

Thanks for your response. I hadn't even considered the possibility that John might have passed away and Eliza remarrying.
The search continues for a Price/Cooke marriage record.
kiwi1948

Return to General research queries