Moderator Control Panel ]

difficulties uploading a document

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Postby puzzledtoday » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:47 pm

I am new to the forum. I tried to upload an image of a will and my translation of it, because I wanted help with some words I couldn't read. I eventually managed the image but when I tried to upload the translation document I got a message that the suffix
doc
was not allowed, so, how do you upload a document? thanks
puzzledtoday

Re: difficulties uploading a document

Postby pjmartin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:21 am

Almost certainly you are not allowed to post a .doc because it could contain malicious code. PDFs may be allowed but you will have to contact the forum admin to check.

Peter
Peter
pjmartin

Postby puzzledtoday » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:38 am

Thank you Peter, that is very helpful.
puzzledtoday

Postby Rosemary Collins » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:05 pm

Unfortunately it looks like you can't attach a word document or a PDF to a post. Could you try copy and pasting the text of the document into your post?
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Postby puzzledtoday » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Thank you.I had prepared a PDF but had not tried it before getting Rosemary Collins's message and, in view of the message, I haven't tried to use it I have tried copy and paste. I can copy but paste does not seem to be allowed, as it is greyed out when I right click in the box.
It looks as if I may have to give up on this one.
puzzledtoday

Postby Mick Loney » Mon May 01, 2017 6:31 am

You could try a screen capture of the required text, then use a graphics package (like gimp, which is free) to turn it into a jpeg, or you may even find you could use your word-processor to save the text as a jpeg, rather than pdf.

Cut and paste seems to work on the app on my iPad. If paste is greyed out, it could mean you haven't got anything in the clipboard to paste! Try testing this by pasting into notepad.

NB When on my PC, I use ctrl-c to copy, then ctrl-v to paste. You could give that a go rather than use the mouse right-click menu. I'll test it later on my PC, and let you know

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby puzzledtoday » Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Thank you very much Mick. I struggled a bit as I was a little out of my depth but in the end the screen shot worked, and useful skills learned.

I have now managed to post into the wrong forum! So will try again in the right one.
puzzledtoday

Return to Technical help