Moderator Control Panel ]

Letitia Bracher/David Mansfield: did they actually marry?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Letitia Bracher/David Mansfield: did they actually marry?

Postby JaneyH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm trying to track down a marriage record for my ancestor Letitia Bracher. Here's what I know already.

- Baptism record 5 February 1809 for Letitia Bracher in Stourton, Wiltshire. Mother Fenetta Bracher; parish register notes child is illegitimate (Wilts OPC website and transcriptions).
- Bastardy Bond dated 1 March 1809 for Stourton mentions mother Fenetta Bracher (mother) and Richard Tabor (father, carpenter from Stourton) with sum of £1 16s 3d (Wilts OPC website and transcriptions). I already have extensive links between Fenetta/Fanneta/Finnate to my wider Bracher family in Stourton ... there were lots of them!
- 1841 Census: David Mansfield (35, ag lab) and wife Letitia (30) were living in Zeals, Wiltshire.
- 1851 Census: Letitia Mansfield (42, factory labourer, sick) and husband David (44, iron founder) were living in Zeals, Wiltshire.
- 1860: Death of a David Mansfield recorded in Mere RD, Wiltshire, June Q 1860 vol 5a p175, age 57. Mere RD includes Zeals and Stourton.
- 1861 Census Letitia Mansfield (55, widow, dressmaker) was living in Upton with Chalvey, Buckinghamshire, with her brother Thomas and his family. I have separately documented Thomas Bracher and his wife/family.
- 1862 Letitia Mansfield remarries, back in Mere (Wiltshire) to Heth Suter (Dec Q, vol 5a, page 490). This is a registry office ceremony according to the Wiltshire BMD website.
- 1878: Death of Letitia Suter age 68, Sep Q, vol 5a page 142.

I've looked on Ancestry; FMP (which has just launched Wiltshire parish register transcripts); the Wiltshire OPC site which has excellent transcriptions of some parishes, including Stourton; Cathy Day's invaluable website for Stourton/Mere/Kilmington ancestors, and the Tisbury Bracher website.

Given the interesting domestic arrangements of many of the Bracher family it's more than possible that there never was a marriage, but it would be helpful to have a fresh pair of eyes on this one.

All ideas welcome!
JaneyH

Re: Letitia Bracher/David Mansfield: did they actually marry

Postby Tickety » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi

I know it's been a few years since you posed this question about Brachers, but I've only just come across it. I know some interesting facts about the Brachers (including a transportation to Australia).

If you're interested, let me have your email address and I'll send you the doument I wrote on this a few years ago.

Best wishes

Jean
Tickety

Return to General research queries