Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA forum app help

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

WDYTYA forum app help

Postby ermin79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Following on from the discussion in another section of the site I was wondering if I have a particularly awkward phone. I used to have the WDYTYA forum app and found i could only answer posts, not start a new thread myself.
I have tried again now installing it today but still have the same problem. I know Adrian38 mentioned a button with 3 dots on it at the bottom of the screen but I cannot see anything at all when i scroll to the bottom.
Am using an Android mobile - i have attached a screenshot of the start page and when i choose a forum.
Any assistance gratefully received
Attachments
Capture+_2017-04-24-18-05-27.png
Capture+_2017-04-24-18-05-27.png (119.27 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
Capture+_2017-04-24-18-05-08.png
Capture+_2017-04-24-18-05-08.png (108.8 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
ermin79

Re: WDYTYA forum app help

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:37 pm

What DO you have at the very bottom?

You should presumably have the 3 standard Android icons for back, top and recent screens. Do you have those? What is to the right of them?

NB you don't scroll down to see them - they are there at the bottom of the "glass".

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ermin79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 pm

There is nothing else just those three. This is a photo of the phone taken on my laptop as I see the app.

Its an LG phone, which my last one was so I just assumed it was a peculiarity of the model. I hadn't bothered to install on this phone as I thought I couldn't post but thought I'd give it a go now in case the latest version worked.
Attachments
WIN_20170424_21_08_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170424_21_08_15_Pro.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
ermin79

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 pm

The stack of 3 dots should be to the right of the Square at the bottom. I think that the bottom row there is, on my phone, always the same as on yours except for the WDYTYA app and ??? - well, I can't think of anything else...

I'm really guessing now, but given the rarity with which anything uses that bottom line on my phone, I'm guessing that the WDYTYA app has to do something special to use it. And maybe your LG phone is so protective of that bottom area, that the WDYTYA app can't put its stack of dots menu in there.

I think this needs to go to the programmers - not sure what they'll want to know - your model of phone and version of Android at a guess.... Presumably the editorial team know how to get a query to them?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ermin79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks Adrian, I'll send an email to the team and see what I can find out

Sent from my LG-K120 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Postby scammellhm » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 pm

In October 2016 I corresponded via p.m. with Adrian v38 we exchanged a number of conversations with lots of Help from Adrian the last message was giving me a link to immediate Media I also contacted on. Backhand. Both were rejected by the post office as unknown . Earlier this month I telephoned the office and spoke to Jon explaining my problem and that's a dream the 38 had been most helpful in trying to solve my problem he suggested I write to him. Since then I have not done anything except attempt to read the post so today I was pleasantly surprised to read that somebody else has the same proble.
Are you a Samsung Galaxy S5 Android WDYTYA Forum app.
I also composed this message using Google speech to text and apologize for any mispelled or misinterpreted words I am still training it kindest regards Scammellhm
scammellhm

Postby ermin79 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 am

Hi Scammelln

I may have found a solution.

If you have the same three icons at the bottom of the screen this works for me, hopefully it might work for you too.

On the app select the following:
Forums tab at the top
Category
Sub category if necessary

You need to get to the section which actually says number of topics @ forum name across the top of the screen (see attached screenshot)

On this screen if I long press (hold down) the square icon at the bottom right of the phone *note - do not just tap or it will just bring up all open screens* then the app brings up a sub menu of options including New Post. If you hold down the square icon on any other previous screen it will just bring up the refresh or subscribe options.

Hope it works for you.

Sent from my LG-K120 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Attachments
1493628592682.jpg
1493628592682.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
ermin79

Postby scammellhm » Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm

HelloErmin79
I have only just found your message from the 1st of May 2017 my apologies or not see it earlier like you I follow it all the way through to the page with all the topics been there done that however there is no way I have managed to get a little square box at the bottom of the screen ( I have it on other programs and other apps but unfortunately not been using wdytya aPp )
I do not fancy having to buy another smartphone so perhaps I will continue to read all the posts and comment if I have anything worthwhile commenting on but not sending new posts regarding my fames

Thank you for passing on the notes of your experiences regarding the problem I'm pleased you have solved yours. Kindest regards scammellhm
scammellhm

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 pm

You can use the browser on your smartphone to access the WDYTYA forum, which should be able to do anything that the browser on the desktop can, including starting new threads.

But do get in touch with the WDYTYA team as there is NO way that the WDYTYA app should stop Android displaying the square box.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby scammellhm » Mon May 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Dear Adrienneb38,
Thank you for passing on the hints on how to create a new thread. I have never used a browser from scratch but the one on my system is Chrome. What do I do?
Kindest regards Scammellh.
scammellhm

Next

Return to Technical help