Moderator Control Panel ]

Mention in Dispatches WW2 - entry in the Gazette?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Mention in Dispatches WW2 - entry in the Gazette?

Postby sarahlouise_robertson » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi all,

Despite trying a few searches, I can't seem to find TheGazetteUK entry for my Grandad's mention in dispatches,

I've got this memo which my Nan (his widow) had - he's Charles Robertson RASC

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks all,

S
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1492979659.510665.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1492979659.510665.jpg (90.76 KiB) Viewed 3886 times

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
sarahlouise_robertson

Re: Mention in Dispatches WW2 - entry in the Gazette?

Postby Amazinggrace » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Sarahlouise,
Mylate father also served in the RASC and according to various family members was mentioned in dispatches.How did you know about the gazette? My brother has applied for his service record from
the MOD. Will that show the dispatches record? How do I go about looking for it in the gazette?,
I don't know where he would have been at the time.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby RoseR » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi,,
I'm helping a friend who's father was mentioned in despatches twice. She has the letters which accompanied the oak leaves, but I can't find the Gazette entries for the dates either. Nor does she have memos such as that shown. She would love to know what her father did to be mentioned. Does anyone have any idea how I could find that out?
RoseR

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Regrettably I can't be of much help. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-military-gallantry-medals/ is the TNA Guide for gallantry awards, which includes MIDs. It doesn't say a lot about them...

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/research-mention-despatches/ is the Long, Long Trail section on World War One MIDs. I include that to set a level of expectation about what might be found - if WW1 stuff isn't particularly detailed, there must be a good chance that WW2 stuff isn't either. But it's not certain.

I am unclear how complete all the data sources are or how good the indexes are. When the original post appeared in this thread, I did try to search the Gazette but couldn't find the guy in question. This may not be surprising as the Gazette indexes were compiled by Optical Character Recognition, which is notorious for misreading - a "5" might end up as an "S", say.

You might try the Rootschat military forum on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/ if you don't strike lucky here. Best of luck.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks Adrian,something to go at.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby RoseR » Mon May 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks for that Adrian. My interest is on a member of the RASC in WW2 and I can't find anything at all. You're right when you say there doesn't appear to be a lot out there.

Grace, you have a memo which gives the details of what your Grandad did. My friend just has the two letters which accompanied the two oak leaves, with no mention of why they had been awarded. I find that interesting that you have the memo but my friend doesn't have one. I still can't find the Gazette entries for the person I'm looking for, but I don't think that would tell me much.

I'll have a look at the Rootschat forum and perhaps the relevant Army Museum might be able to help.
RoseR

Postby ianbee » Mon May 01, 2017 2:04 pm

One of the other men, it seems to say
T/11168? Dvr. N. A. Foy

Not sure of the last digit in his service number, because of the tear, looks like it might be a 9. Nor am I convinced that there was a N A Foy, however there was a Kenneth Arthur Foy, who may have had that number -
Supplement to the London Gazette of Tuesday 22 June, 1943
Thursday, 24th June, 1943
War Office, 24th June, 1943.
The KING has been graciously pleased to approve that the following be Mentioned in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Middle East during the period 1st May, 1942, to 22nd October,1942:—
Royal Army Service Corps.
T/111689 Dvr. K. A. Foy.

Was that for a different act of gallant and distinguished service?

On the subject of 14 Coy. RASC, and curiously, the book "Stafford at War 1939-1945" mentions a Driver C. Robertson of 14 Company RASC who, according to the Staffordshire Chronicle, was mentioned in dispatches for gallantry in Lybia in June 1944
The author says that he was unable to find an entry in the London Gazette
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon May 01, 2017 3:50 pm

RoseR wrote:I'll have a look at the Rootschat forum and perhaps the relevant Army Museum might be able to help.

You'll have to give them a name.
ianbee

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon May 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Rose, It's SarahLouise who has the memo. All I have is family hearsay.Apparently my late mother had
told people of the award and my father was very proud of it.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby RoseR » Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Sorry Grace and SarahLouise for getting your names mixed up. Yes Adrian, I do have the details of the man I'm looking for:

Walter Thomas Hurford; Army No T122967 RASC. On his release in April 1946 he was attached to 1689/SL BTY SECT RASC. He had the Africa Star, France and Germany Star and Italy Star as well as the usual ones.

I understand that members of the RASC were often attached to other units and that could make it difficult to find out why he was mentioned in despatches. I've asked my friend for copies of any documents she has for her father's war service in the hope that might help.
RoseR

Next

Return to Military help