Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Halford - Isleworth (c1796-1867)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Halford - Isleworth (c1796-1867)

Postby MoVidger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm struggling to find a birth record for my 4 x great-grandfather Thomas Halford, apparently born in Isleworth, Middlesex. From c1822 onwards, he and his family resided in Whitechapel and then St George in the East. Below are several details for him:

The 1851 and 1861 census reports list his birthplace as Isleworth.
His 16 May 1819 marriage to Ann Peatling indicates a witness named "Thos Halford Sen" who I presume was his father. Marriage took place in St Martin in the Fields.
Before joining the East India Company London warehouse in 1818 (age 22), Thomas worked as a calico print cutter. By 1841, he is an EIC pensioner and still residing in St George in the East.

Using Ancestry, FMP, and Family Search, I've tried locating a birth/baptism record for Thomas in the Isleworth area (with and without a father named Thomas), but with no success.

A vague possibility for father is a Thomas Halford (born 1774 in Isleworth) who is a publican at The Chequers in Isleworth. (This fellow is mentioned in an 1840 newspaper article -- he was charged with serving 'travellers' on a Sunday).

I find it odd that a c1796 birth record for my Thomas is proving difficult to find, unless it's been right under my nose. If anyone can lend a fresh eye, I would be most grateful!
MoVidger

Re: Thomas Halford - Isleworth (c1796-1867)

Postby ianbee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi Mo
You could try having a quick look at this brief thread for a bit of background
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754800.0

FamilySearch have got some baptisms indexed to Thomas + Mary Halford in Isleworth
including Mary Ann in 1805, Eliza 1807, Joseph 1814
also a Hatford and a Herford. Don't know if they are all the same family

In 1798
Name: Thomas ...
Christening Date: 08 Jul 1798
Christening Place: Isleworth, Middlesex
Father's Name ... ...
Mother's Name ... ...
Film 597916 (Parish Register)

and another similar one in October that year
There may perhaps be entries around that time that they haven't attempted to index at all
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Ian - many thanks, as always, for your invaluable assistance and the link you provided. Leave it to me to have ancestors from Isleworth, where it appears not all parish records have been fully indexed. :roll: Yes, I had noticed the other children's baptism entries. Mary Ann and Eliza particularly resonated with me, as Thomas gave both names to two of his daughters. (Eliza was my 3 x great-grandmother).

Now all I have to do confirm the maiden name of Thomas' mother, if I can. On FMP, there is a 1795 marriage record for a Thomas Halford & Mary Hawkins (at St Martin in the Fields). But I'll need to investigate those (incomplete) Isleworth parish records for a likely marriage, too.

I'm wondering if the Thomas Halford (publican) who appears in the 1841 to 1861 census reports for Isleworth is the father in question? The 1851 census is a bit confusing, as the enumerator has crossed-out the 'step' in "step-daughter" for a Frances Bunnin (age 59), who is living with widowed Thomas. By 1861, it appears Thomas has remarried (!) and has a very young family. :shock: I've been researching his two youngest children. On son William's marriage record, he says his father Thomas was a 'bookmaker' (or is it 'bootmaker'?) Makes me think I've got the wrong Halford family!
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi Mo
The occupation for Thomas Halford on the baptism of Joseph in 1814 is Shoemaker.
But it appears kind of seamless, one Thomas and Mary Harford in Isleworth, from those baptisms through to the census, her death in 1851, and his later remarriage to a much younger lady (Mary Reynolds, at Lambeth, 15 Sep 1856)
Possibly Thomas just gave up the shoe making and became a publican?
The granddaughter in 1851, Emma Wise, seems to be the daughter of William Wise and Sarah Halford, who married at St Martin in the Fields in 1828 (witnessed by Thos Halford, Mary Halford)
Could she have married there because her parents did? Although the Wise's are in Westminster later on.
So Sarah must be the Sarah "Herford" indexed on Family Search, bap Isleworth, 25 Nov 1803

An entry on findmypast's Greater London Burial Index - Isleworth, 25 April 1820, William Harford, age 22. Apparently says "Son Of Thomas And Mary" (Middlesex Burials & Memorial Inscriptions)

Maybe this one on Family Search?
William Holfors
Christening Date: 24 Apr 1798
Christening Place: Isleworth, Middlesex
Father: Thomas Holfors
Mother: Mary Holfors
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi Ian - thank you for this additional input. I've spent this afternoon studying the available records for the elder Thomas Halford, particularly his census reports and baptism records for the children you located. Thomas' occupation as shoemaker (1814) ties in with the 1894 marriage record for son William (Thomas is listed as bootmaker). But why wouldn't William state his father's last known profession (publican) -- if this is the correct family?

I lose track of daughter Alice (b1857) after the 1881. There is an Alice Halford who marries in Jamaica in 1890. She is the right age, with a father named Thomas. However, this married lady is a "gentlewoman" from Cranbrook. Can't possibly be the same Alice who is a laundress in the 1881 census. Full image is on Family Search. (Oddly enough, there are two Lambeth baptism records for a William and Alice Halford. Parents are Thomas & Mary Halford. However, father's occupation is "gentleman". Must be another family).

Update: I found Alice Andrews (nee Halford) with family in the 1911 census for Somerset. Birthplace is Isleworth -- so it's definitely Thomas Halford's daughter. How Alice went from laundress to "gentlewoman" on her marriage record is interesting. But when one marries a Minister, I suppose one has to gild the lily. ;)

With the St Martin in the Fields 1828 marriage connection, my Thomas married there in 1819. So it could be the go-to marriage location for the Halford family.

I'm still working on locating a c1845 marriage record for Eliza Halford and James Caldwell (see my other thread from a week ago), before they emigrated to the USA. Eliza is the 2nd daughter of Thomas Halford Jr. But there's always the possibility they didn't marry.
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Mo
I think Frances Bunnin could confirm that is the right marriage for Thomas + Mary in St Martin in the Fields.
There are three baptisms in Isleworth to Thomas + Frances Bunning between 1813 and 1819. One of them, Elizabeth, should later be the wife of Daniel Wing, Frances is with them in 1871.
The only marriage I can see is at Teddington, Middlesex, 14 April 1811, Thomas Bunin + Frances Hawkins.
If that's right, it looks as though Frances was an illegitimate daughter of Mary Hawkins?

If we add Sarah Wise, born circa 1803 Isleworth, matching the Sarah "Herford" baptism there, also tied in with her daughter Emma being with Thomas in 1851, it all begins to look pretty solid.
The one thing missing is a baptism of Thomas junior!
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Trying to do a bit of signature comparison
Presuming Thomas senior is the witness on Sarah's marriage, their are similarities with your Thomas Halford 1819 witness, particularly on the first name, which he has abbreviated.
His own two marriages are so far apart from each other, and the other two as well, that it's difficult to say. He was getting on when he remarried in 1856, by then his signature somewhat resembles the distinctive, well known writing of Mr Gawler, the Lambeth parish clerk!
Ian
Last edited by ianbee on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Ian - great detective work! Until the other day, I just had Thomas Jr's details on my tree. It's so exciting to have his parents and siblings attached now, along with the fun of researching them. I had a hunch that publican Thomas Sr might be his father. His 1856 marriage to Mary Reynolds confirms his own father -- another Thomas (coachman). So that was a major bonus!

I'm curious as to how Alice Halford ended up in Jamaica (after 1881) -- so I'm currently researching her movements. I'm also puzzled as to why Thomas Sr described himself as "gentleman" on both Lambeth baptisms for Alice and William. Perhaps that explains why Alice described herself as "gentlewoman" and half-brother Joseph did the same ("gentleman") on his 1864 marriage record.

Update: A FMP travel record has an "A Halford" departing Southampton for Jamaica on 1/10/1890. The FS marriage register image has her marrying Archibald James Andrews (minister) on 20 Oct 1890 in Brucefield. Sounds like Alice married shortly after arriving. But what brought her to Jamaica, I wonder? At age 33, I imagine she would be considered a spinster. They had two daughters while in Jamaica (Alice and Beatrice) before moving to Scotland.
MoVidger

Return to General research queries