Moderator Control Panel ]

Registration of birth query

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Registration of birth query

Postby sharongill » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am

I have a relative who was apparently born at their parents home address back in 1929. However, the electoral roll does not show the registered mother living there at that time; but she is there the following year as the 'new' wife of the recorded father (records state they were married in 1927).

The birth certificate shows the baby having been registered by the mother 6 weeks after the date of birth. I find both of these details quite unusual!

My question is - is it feasible that the baby could actually have been born to another family member and that it was actually 'taken on' by a young, married couple?? Could this be the reason why the recorded mother isnt showing on the electoral roll?

Any ideas gratefully received

Many thanks
sharongill

Re: Registration of birth query

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Sharon,
You've got to take into account the time it takes to produce an electoral roll. The information in the 1929 roll, was gathered as early as 1928! If the mother moved there after the roll was taken, she won't appear until the next roll was taken.
Electoral rolls are not like censuses, which show a snapshot of where people were on a particular date! Data for an electoral is gathered over a period of time, then sent to the printers, all this takes time!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: Registration of birth query

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Qualifying date for the 1929 Register was 1 December 1928 - then 1 June for a number of years after that. 1928 was a bit odd datewise because it was the first year that only 1 Register per year was produced.

Further, it wasn't until an Act was passed mid 1928 that the vote was given to all women over 21. Prior to that it's a bit complex but I know that when my grandparents first married, they lived with her parents - Grandpa got a vote but Nana didn't.

From memory, six weeks is on the limit for registration of a birth. Later than that and you might need to pay a fee. Plenty of parents never got round to it until they were right on the limit - and some birth dates got adjusted to put the birth back inside the limit.

So I suspect that there's nothing odd at all.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat