Moderator Control Panel ]

Related to the aristocracy?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Related to the aristocracy?

Postby ksouthall » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 am

This thread from a couple of years ago talks about claimed links to the aristocracy:

topic12528.html

With reference to the story I mentioned in the linked thread, for the winner of the History Channel competition to be descended from Sir Francis Drake's younger brother, the Anne Creber in her family tree had to be the daughter of Henry Creber and Honour Crymes as the connection to the Drake family was through her maternal ancestors. She couldn't be any Anne Creber, of which there were a few in the right area at around the right time.

In order to prove any links, you need a paper trail and also to eliminate other possible candidates as well by tracing them forward.
ksouthall

Re: Related to the aristocracy?

Postby ronariker » Sun May 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you all.

Further research (God bless the Scotland's People website) has shown that while George's father's name was indeed James Ogilvie and they lived in roughly the same area, George's father was clearly NOT the Earl. I thought it was highly unlikely. So far all my ancestors were the poorest of the poor, working primarily on the land. If there is blue blood anywhere in my past, it is keeping well hidden!

Thank you everyone for confirming my thoughts.
ronariker

Previous

Return to General research queries