Moderator Control Panel ]

Worsted Weavers

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Worsted Weavers

Postby puzzledtoday » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Samuel Bane 1742-1825 was a worsted weaver, then a gentleman. In his will he left several properties. He was born in Norwich but, at some point, moved to London and was living in George St off Chicksand Street at the time of his death. I know a bit about worsted weaving but how would a worsted weaver become wealthy enough to be in his position?
puzzledtoday

Re: Worsted Weavers

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm

He probably ran a weaving business. I see it quite often that the owner of the business is referred to by the same occupation name as those who worked for him. Indeed, in the smaller businesses, he might still be one sat at a loom himself. He was pretty certain to be a qualified weaver.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Worsted Weavers

Postby ciderdrinker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:30 am

Hello
Have you seen the Poll books for Norfolk and London
The 1780 has him already moved to London but he still owns enough property in norfolk to be eligible to vote there.
The 1806 Poll book for Norfolk gives him in London Samuel Bane gent.
He remains eligible to vote there in 1807 and 1818.
There is also a Samuel Bane worstead weaver on the Poll list for Norwich 1761 in the parish of St Martin at Place .I presume he could be Samuel's father as your Samuel would not be 21.

So the family must have been quite wealthy to qualify

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Return to General research queries